Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting front speakers into the Forester (will work for imprezas too).

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2012, 04:36 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting front speakers into the Forester (will work for imprezas too).

Started sorting the sounds out today, transplanted the front speakers from the bugeye, will be adding the amp and a stealth 8' sub later on.

Stage 1 was to remove the front door cards, the speaker grilles clip off but otherwise it's very similar to an impreza.

Then I stripped the inner liner and removed the speaker plus the mount.
Stage 2 was to make up a spacer to take the 6.5' midrange, by tracing around the original mount (or speaker in a impreza) and cutting a spacer out of 16mm MDF, this was then trial fitted and clearances checked.

Stage 3 was to bond the spacer to the door skin using P40 filler, I'd stood the spacer off the door skin slightly to allow good clearance behind.

Stage 4 (after a bit of sanding) was to fit the sound deadening material to the inner skin, this involved making sure the wires were all run correctly.

Stage 5 as the speakers are pretty high end (CTS components with front mounted magnets) the crossovers are a bit bulky I fitted them to the inside of the door card and by using an off cut of the sound deadening I was able to mount the main tweeter to the back of the card as well. I will fit the imaging tweeters to the A pillars later on to lift the soundstage further if needed.

Stage 6 was to refit the door card.

Sound is so much better now!
Old 29 July 2012, 09:43 AM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mate that was an excellent write up ! I am intending doing the same to my 2004 Blob and this just what I needed. Nice one pal, thanks !

Cheers,

Paul.