ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Good location for microphone?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2012, 08:43 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good location for microphone?

I've just bought a new bluetooth-enabled head unit. I wanted bluetooth to stream music from my phone but it can also act as a hands-free set. I rarely talk while I'm driving (I prefer to focus on the thing that might kill me if I don't do it right) but I may as well set it up since I have it.

The only bit I'm unsure about is where best to locate the microphone. The obvious place in terms of being near my mouth is somewhere high up but this would involve either running a wire across the car (no thanks, I want it to look neat) or removing at least part of the head lining, which I imaging to be a major undertaking. Somewhere near the steering wheel would be much easier but I'm not sure how well it would work.

If you have done (or had someone do for you) this in your Scooby, where did you put it? How hard was it running the wire to the back of the head unit?
Old 11 July 2012, 08:51 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Nr the rear view mirror, that's were mine is and it's easy, remove pillar held in by clips and then tuck behind head liner , no need to remove.
Old 11 July 2012, 08:52 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

mines by the mirror
Old 11 July 2012, 08:57 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

How did you route the wire? The rear view mirror strikes me as a good place but don't you have to run the wire all round the windscreen? Were you able to do that without removing loads of interior trim?
Old 11 July 2012, 09:06 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Which impreza have you got, mines a blob and was a doddle
Under footwell dash then side of dash nr door, took rubber seal away a bit on door frame and up towards screen, took the plastic pillar cover off and then pushed wire behind the head liner. Sorted.
If you struggle and are near me I'll pop it on for you ,for a pack of ****

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 11 July 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11 July 2012, 10:26 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

That doesn't sound too hard. I probably won't fit the head unit until the weekend so I'll have a poke about and see how it goes. Thank you as well for your kind offer. I probably won't need to take you up on it but you never know.

Mine is a blob as well so it should be the same as yours.
Old 11 July 2012, 10:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lotus49
That doesn't sound too hard. I probably won't fit the head unit until the weekend so I'll have a poke about and see how it goes. Thank you as well for your kind offer. I probably won't need to take you up on it but you never know.

Mine is a blob as well so it should be the same as yours.
Good luck
Old 15 July 2012, 07:37 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

Just in case anyone else is interested and thinking of doing the same thing, I broadly followed the advice above.

I clipped the mic over the top of the plastic pillar cover. That just pulls off (it's held in by clips) and was easy to remove. I didn't have to pull the whole thing off but I ran the wire down most of the inside of the pillar and then under the rubber seal that is right next to it. Then I just ran the wire behind the plastic trim that's in front of your knees behind the head unit. It was surprisingly easy and now looks really neat and works well.

I decided to put the mic on the right hand side as I rarely open the window and I don't need anyone else to be able to speak into the microphone.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 15 July 2012, 07:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lotus49
Just in case anyone else is interested and thinking of doing the same thing, I broadly followed the advice above.

I clipped the mic over the top of the plastic pillar cover. That just pulls off (it's held in by clips) and was easy to remove. I didn't have to pull the whole thing off but I ran the wire down most of the inside of the pillar and then under the rubber seal that is right next to it. Then I just ran the wire behind the plastic trim that's in front of your knees behind the head unit. It was surprisingly easy and now looks really neat and works well.

I decided to put the mic on the right hand side as I rarely open the window and I don't need anyone else to be able to speak into the microphone.

Thanks for the help everyone.