ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

6.5 inch restriction?

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2002, 02:06 PM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I hope somebody has ideas about this. I'm planning the install for my P1, and after inspecting the door trim and the guts of the door I have one or two questions.
I can get 6.5 inch speakers fairly cheap from a mate and so this size is preferable not only for the sound (Diamond audio e.t.c.). I will be making baffles/mounts for the speakers in the factory location as this will be the easiest way without wrecking the standard trash. The hole in the door, the metal not the mount, is only 13cm and I guess the plastic grille in the trim is also about the same size. Will this restrict and/or affect the sound from the 6.5 inchers (165mm if you don't like the maths!!!). It seems obvious the air and therefore cone movment will be hampered by the small hole in both the door and grille. The mount was not going to have holes in but I guess if the restriction is a problem then it will have to.
Does anybody know what I am wibbling on about or am I just being a tart?

Cheers for reading in advance (let alone trying to answer!)

Little man
Old 03 May 2002, 04:38 PM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Come on guys, does anybody know? Please help. Just a little note. Chiark? anybody out there? No? O.K. perhaps i'll go away.
Old 04 May 2002, 03:15 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've fitted plenty of 16cm and 17cm speakers into Impreza doors (never a p1 though), components and coaxials. I've made mdf baffles for some and used the the original plastic moulding for others.
I know what you mean about the hole in the metal being a bit smaller but i've never had any problems with the magnets not fitting through so you shouldn't have any problems there.

There grill isn't the same size as the speaker cone area but that won't cause any problems either.

Just be sure to run speaker cables away from the window runners and mech. and use the right thickness of mdf for the baffles. If it's too thin the window will hit the magnet when it's on it's way down and if it's too thick the speaker cone will hit the door card when in operation.
Old 04 May 2002, 12:47 PM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Cheers Audio G, looks like I've got my work cut out for me then!
Old 05 May 2002, 06:15 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Question

I know exactly what you're on about. I'm in the process of fitting focal polyglass 6.5" into the front of my my98 scoob and its causing all sorts of headaches.

The problem I'm finding is that the basket of the speakers are quite wide and hence touch (or appear to) the plastic mount, which has already had the water shield cut away as the magnets were too big to fit in them (but no problems with the magnet fitting in the hole on the dorr itself). My problem so far is this - the spacer i've made up is about 12mm and i can't go much thinner because of the basket. However, the door panel is back in place and the speaker looks to be just about touching the top part where the door panel slopes in. Otherwise, its ok. What I could do with knowing is:

How much space is needed between the speaker and the door panel, or rather, how little can I get away with

Has anyone put focals into their scoob, or had similar problems with big baskets?

cheers, si
Old 05 May 2002, 07:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Audiogman where are you in Kent?
Old 06 May 2002, 09:35 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Has anyone thought of having custom door pods made.
Old 06 May 2002, 09:35 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Has anyone thought of having custom door pods made.
Old 07 May 2002, 10:53 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

yes, but there are a few things thats stopping me going down that route:

I'd rather keep things fairly standard, especially when I come to sell the car, I'd rather keep things looking normal inside to prevent theiving gits from being tempted, effort and cost involved.

If anyone's got suggestions about builds re above then I'm open to ideas; after all, I've spent 200 quid on a set of speakers and I want them to sound their best.