Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Remote Wire From Sub To Headunit???

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2011, 03:02 PM
Lettuce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Wire From Sub To Headunit???

I have a JVC AVX640 headunit and have just gotten a T1 Audio T1-10AT Bass Tube, there are very basic instructions with the bass tube and most of the connection are self explanatory apart from 1, a purple wire on the Bass Tube labled 'REM' now im guessing this is the remote wire so you can control the sub from my JVC head unit??

If i am correct in this, im not 100% sure where i need to connect this wire to on the rear on my headunit, ive looked at the manual for the JVC and it mentions a blue with white stripe wire which is the remote lead, the only blue and white stripe wire i can see on the rear of the JVC is on the main loom/ISO plug which comes from my JVC and connects up to the already fitted loom inside my 04 WRX ST (i had to buy a adaptor loom to connect this JVC up to the loom already in the car like 95% of all people have to).

Now usually i wouldnt have a problem cutting this blue and white stripe wire and connecting the 'REM' pruple wire from my sub to this, BUT looking at the loom thats connected to the car there appears to be a solid blue wire that connects up to the blue and white stripe wire coming from the JVC when both looms are plugged together, so what is this solid blue wire for on the orginally fitted loom and is it safe for me to cut this solid blue wire and solder the purple 'REM' wire from the bass tube to the blue and white stripe wire coming from the JVC? In doing this the solid blue wire coming from the car wouldnt be connected up to anything anymore

Last edited by Lettuce; 19 November 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:24 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

The remote wire just tells the amp in the bass tube to power up and get to work.

The blue wire in the harness is usually the one that supplies power to the aerial amplifier so you get radio reception.

Personally i'd run the wire from the amp back to the head unit and check it does it's job when you 'connect' it to the blue/white wire. Not all headunits use the same colour coding for all wires. I'd just wtist the 2 wires together to check it all works.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:45 PM
Lettuce
Scooby Regular

So does the STi use a aerial amplifier then??

It order for me to check to see if it works correctly im going to need to splice into the blue/white wire, i would have thought there would of been just lose wire that i could of soldered straigh to without needing to cut into the harness coming from the headunit?

I guess i could solder the purple 'REM' wire to the connection pin of the solid blue wire thats possibly the aerial amp???
Old 19 November 2011, 04:35 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

The aerial is in the heater matrix for the rear window thats why it uses an amp.

I'd just splice the blu/white into the purple one and see what happens. Can't remember what i did on my blobeye when i wired in a sub. I think i might have done the 3 way splice your talking about... Aerial amp+remote to the stereo in 1 connection and it works fine.
Old 19 November 2011, 06:12 PM
Lettuce
Scooby Regular

Ok, i spliced into the blue/white wire and i got a power LED light on the sub (before i didnt wire the purple wire up and got no power LED light), but i cannot get anything from the sub at all, if i remove one of the RCA plugs from the sub then the LED light goes out also. I have noticed that there is another LED light labled ' PROT' which isnt illuminated and im not even sure what 'PROT' stands for. The very limited info the 2 page manual of the sub gives me is....

"PROT / PWER LED'S

When the amplifier is wired and installed correctly the green LED on the front of the amplifier will illuminate to indicare the amplfier is operating correctly.

If the amplifier is incorrectly wired or an abnormal situation occurs such as speaker cables shorting the red protection LED will illimonate."

Now im guessing the PROT LED is for if something is wired incorrectly or shorted as mentioned about?? The thing is the power led on my sub is illuminated blue and not green.

Now im not sure how i find out if its the sub thats at fault or my headunit...how would i go about trouble shooting this??

Last edited by Lettuce; 19 November 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 19 November 2011, 06:41 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Have you turned the sub on from the head unit. My new one has everything defaulted to off for all the pre-outs, etc so they need to be swithched on from the head unit.
Apart from that not much else i can think of...
Old 19 November 2011, 08:09 PM
Lettuce
Scooby Regular

Thats what i was thinking, the manual for the JVC isnt really informative in the use and setup of an amp/sub....

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf.../105AVX640.PDF

Ive gone through the options on the headunit itself and the only settings i see for the subwoofer is gain/volume levels nothing that actually says on or off for the sub though

Im wondering if my earthing point into 100%....but then if that was at fault i doubt the power LED would be illuminated would it?

Last edited by Lettuce; 19 November 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 19 November 2011, 08:41 PM
10bats
Scooby Regular

bad earth on bass tube. led comes on when rca plugged in cos the sheild on the rca is providing the earth, because your earth on bass tube isnt there.
Old 19 November 2011, 09:07 PM
Lettuce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 10bats
bad earth on bass tube. led comes on when rca plugged in cos the sheild on the rca is providing the earth, because your earth on bass tube isnt there.

Really?, ah ok thats good to hear might be an easy fix then. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back. Thanks.

Any suggestions on a good earth point in the boot of the STi??
Old 20 November 2011, 02:48 PM
Lettuce
Scooby Regular

Spot on 10bats works like a treat now, cheers!!!
Old 20 November 2011, 07:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

"Gotten"? American are we?

Surely, "Prot" will be "protection", and those LEDs will illuminate when the proterctuion circuit is in use, usually when the amp/speaker is clipping.