Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Bit of advice on the right speakers for me..

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2011, 08:04 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of advice on the right speakers for me..

So, after buying some adaptors for the front doors of my blob wagon from an ebay uk seller.. they turned out to be crap. Didn't fit properly and had to be modified. Just to add to my woe's I bought some Pioneer 13cm 3-ways also for the front doors and the sound is terrible.. Onwards and upwards though.. I then ordered speaker adaptors all round from a US seller as recommended by guys in here. I now have them although I was stung for £13 excise duty! I can now fit 16cm speakers up front so what do i go for? My budget is £70 and I'm open to any ideas. Do I really need 3-ways or will decent 2-ways do the job as well.. Not overly keen on component jobbies either..
Old 13 September 2011, 09:07 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

most people will tell you the same, it's all about personal taste. the best advice i can give you is to pop along to a local scooby meet and stick your head in a few cars. as much as halfords try with there display stands, every speaker performs different in a car. what could sound good in the display could well be awful in the car and visa versa with the gash ones.
Old 14 September 2011, 10:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree wholeheatedly with the above.

the Halfords display is a good starting point, howe3ver: it will certsainly tell you if you like, or hate a particualr brand.

I actually chose mine there, blind, helped by my youngest.

I ended up with Sony 3-way 165mm fronts and Sony 3-way 6x9's rear. Bought off t'internet, of course, saved about £40.

What head unit are you using, btw?
Old 14 September 2011, 03:01 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Cheers for replies, yeh I know exactly whay you're saying. Just wondered what folks opinions were on 3-ways or 2-ways up front? Also what the most popular manufacturers are around my price range? But yeh, I agree, it is down to individual taste sometimes..

btw, headunit is a recent midrange Kenwood..
Old 14 September 2011, 07:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Then I'd START with Kenwood speakers.........they tend to be well matched to their own make headunit

I have a Sony headunit, too.
Old 14 September 2011, 07:32 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Infinity make excellent speakers Kappa Series .

If you are using coax not components you can even adjust the angle of the tweeter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Infinity-652...6024733&sr=8-3

Ive got the smaller version of these they sound great but if you want Bass you would still need to add a sub.

Last edited by topman2180; 14 September 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 14 September 2011, 08:31 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Using kenwood speakers does make sense, i'll check some out. also, i did check out those kappas too..
Old 16 September 2011, 09:04 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

using kenwood speakers actually makes no sense. every speaker has unique characteristics depending on the enclosure there in. Your door is the enclosure, and this can vary the sound drastically. for example if you listened to identical speakers in the front and rear doors from the same distance you would notice a world of difference. also sound proofing and stiffening the doors will increase the bass response, sealing holes will increase the power handling as they are no longer playing in free air. You will find that some halfords will let you try a couple of pairs of speakers so long as you turn up with the doorcard of so it's ready to connect. failing that some smaller independant shops will let you buy a couple of sets to try on the basis of a refund on the ones you dont keep being returned in a resaleable condition. It's hard to suggest a particular speaker as it'd be like going to a resturant and asking for something nice. having said that, speakers can be grouped into vauge groups, i.e focal make good all round speakers but need an amp to shine, jbl work well from head units and are quite punchy. vibe are fairly boomy. ect... i'd still consider going for 2 way components as most small tweeters will fit in the stock locations and this help lift the sound stage
Old 18 September 2011, 12:15 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rez
So, after buying some adaptors for the front doors of my blob wagon from an ebay uk seller.. they turned out to be crap. Didn't fit properly and had to be modified. Just to add to my woe's I bought some Pioneer 13cm 3-ways also for the front doors and the sound is terrible.. Onwards and upwards though.. I then ordered speaker adaptors all round from a US seller as recommended by guys in here. I now have them although I was stung for £13 excise duty! I can now fit 16cm speakers up front so what do i go for? My budget is £70 and I'm open to any ideas. Do I really need 3-ways or will decent 2-ways do the job as well.. Not overly keen on component jobbies either..
The best option would be to fit components and a big amp. That's not happening on £70 though.

Probably best to consider the Infinity Kappas previously linked. Whilst the door card is off, make covers for all of the voids in the door metalwork and hold them in with screws and/or flashing tape or similar. When mounting the speakers and the adapters, make sure they're mounted as solidly as possible. Maybe get a speaker mounting kit from Dynamat or similar. "Every little 'elps.."

J.