ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Spec D and iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2010, 06:00 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec D and iPhone

I've finally succumbed to the Apple bandwagon and have a couple of questions re my Spec D and the Pioneer headunit which has Bluetooth and iPod connectivity.

My Nokia N95 8GB used to connect automatically to the Pioneer but the iPhone 4 (latest OS ver 4.2.1) will only connect manually either from the Pioneer or the iPhone – both will work. Can anyone help me to make it work automatically? Also, i tend to get the Error 80 message - anyone know what it means apart from having to turn off the ignition and restarting.

Also, plugging the iPhone into the connector I get an error message to say my “iPod” is not compatible sometimes with an error appearing and sometimes it will play music but will not charge.
Old 12 December 2010, 06:26 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Mine is the same, it won't charge but will play music & the bluetooth works automatically sometimes.
Old 15 December 2010, 12:08 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine wont ever automatically connect via the bluetooth, I have to manually connect every time. Also when it is connected everyone complains who I'm speaking to, about terrible interfearance! And yes the iphone won't charge when you plug it in!
I have my ipod classic plugged into it and I find it Impossible to navigate to individual songs or albums. So all I can select is random playlists then random songs from the playlist I am listening to at that particular time! In all I find the pioneer head unit in the spec d is a very 'Un-user freindly' head unit as far as the ipod and Iphone are concerned!
I think I'll have one of those iphone Parrot Kits fitted as they are far more easier no navigate araund your iphone on! with interfearance free calling!.
You have to remember that the technology in the pioneer head unit is at least 5 years old now!
Ta Warren
Old 15 December 2010, 02:00 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I agree, changed mine for a kenwood double din with blue tooth & full iPhone compatibility & nav. Best mod so far.
Old 15 December 2010, 02:28 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WarrenSTI
You have to remember that the technology in the pioneer head unit is at least 5 years old now!
Ta Warren
Yes, and that 5 year old technology managed to connect to my 3(?) year old Nokia automatically normally without issues.

So now I have "new" technology that doesn't work without manual intervention Marvelous!! Really struggling to understand why not.

So far, I'm not too impressed with this Apple thingy
Old 15 December 2010, 04:37 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a kenwood bt-40 connects everytime and it has a usb connection that charges it and the bluetooth is parrot built in to stereo its clear as day through my standard speakers
Old 16 December 2010, 08:12 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
i have a kenwood bt-40 connects everytime and it has a usb connection that charges it and the bluetooth is parrot built in to stereo its clear as day through my standard speakers
What's it like playing music from your iPhone? is it easy to navigate?
Old 16 December 2010, 08:22 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you can either do it through the iphone or through the stereo to skip songs or albums and you can set the stereo up to scroll txt messages
Old 19 December 2010, 07:04 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

dealers have been issued with an update disc for certain stereos that have iphone problems might be worth giving the dealer a call and seeing what it does update.
Old 14 February 2011, 02:53 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
Peter, what iPhone do you have and does it connect automatically without manual intervention when you get in the car?

Basically, I've decided to replace the Pioneer headunit with probably a Kenwood (BT40, 50 or 60) or Alpine (CDE-113BT or similar) with a budget around £200.

I need it to work automatically with my iPhone 4 with Bluetooth handsfree phone, music, charging and ideally Bluetooth music streaming all without the need for additional leads or connections. ie they need to be included within the £200 if possible.

An easy to fit and use steering wheel remote would also be high on my shopping list to aid phone calls.

Hopefully, it goes without saying that radio reception needs to be good (preferably better than the Pioneer which doesn't seem that strong) and a CD player to include MP3, etc.

Can anyone make any specific recommendations?
Old 19 February 2011, 03:36 AM
TheDuke
Scooby Regular

Hi. My spec D headunit has a dodgy screen that keeps breaking up or turning off all together. The Bluetooth never connects automatically and I too get the 'error 80' messages.
If people are complaining about noise when you phone them on handsfree it's because your phone is too close to the headunit. Try putting it in the drinks holder near the handbrake. (not good if your using the lead to listen to music though I know)
I use the iPhones screen to select songs I want to play. I have an iPhone cradle and had to jailbreak my phone to do so. I used a operating system hack called 'noaccessorysplash'
Works a treat. You can't charge your iPhone with the lead. I even bought an adapter to do so but it doesn't work with pioneer headunits! It's because our headunit uses the old higher voltage standard for the old iPods and first gen ipodtouch. It will not charge the iPhone 4.
I'm going to get a new headunit but I'm waiting for the 'parrot asteroid' to come out. Supposed to be out anytime.
Also get some car dyno apps on your iPhone 4. Revs, dynolicious, dash command etc. They are really good. Just looking for a cheap plx kiwi wifi to get all the gauges and data logging working.