ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

can 6x9's go in rear shelf new age

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2010, 04:15 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can 6x9's go in rear shelf new age

if so how can it be done best please. I have the two isofix points as well which I don't mind losing!
If anyone has some piccies of them fitted or any rear shelf mounted speakers please pass on your thoughts!
Old 20 September 2010, 04:36 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i've fitted some in mine and kept the isofix mounting points

best way i found was to make some custom mdf housings for them, bit of trail and error chopping them a bit at a time to fit but well worth it on the end.
Old 20 September 2010, 04:48 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
i've fitted some in mine and kept the isofix mounting points

best way i found was to make some custom mdf housings for them, bit of trail and error chopping them a bit at a time to fit but well worth it on the end.
have you got a pic?
Old 20 September 2010, 04:50 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As TingTong says, I made some custom MDF spacers and I covered the back of the shelf with 1" foam to prevent rattling and add some sound proofing. The key thing is to make sure that if your magnets protrude through the shelf (I trimmed the metal under the shelf a little to make clearance) that they clear the boot springs.

Old 20 September 2010, 05:44 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

thats a much better look than mine jonMC.

i have re-fitted the origional shelf back and used round speaker grills rather than the 6x9 ones so you can't even tell they are in their.
Old 20 September 2010, 07:22 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
thats a much better look than mine jonMC.

i have re-fitted the origional shelf back and used round speaker grills rather than the 6x9 ones so you can't even tell they are in their.
I'm not happy because the grey alcantara was only a 2-way stretch so I've got some black suede-like material but a bit fluffier that I can shave with my electric defluffer - stretches better so will give a better finish. I'm also going to add some foam on top to make the contours easier to shape the material around
Old 20 September 2010, 07:48 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I'm in the middle of doing this at the moment mate and it is a bit daunting but getting there slowly.

I have used the advice from Jon (thanks Jon ) and made 18mm spacers but my speakers are quite deep so just touch the boot springs but it hasn't effected the operation of the boot lid so it will be ok.

I have got some foam cut out to fill out the gaps between the speakers and am now waiting on some black acoustic carpet to recover the shelf. I have some more foam left to put under the shelf when it get fitted finally.

I will try and get a mid-build pic for you so it shows were I am up to and what needs to be removed from the car to get the shelf out.

Once the shelf is done I have got some new components to go in the front and also mount my amp neatly in the boot

Will put up pics of this as well as they may be of use to somebody.
Old 20 September 2010, 07:59 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

The only issue with the springs and speakers touching is the vibrations that may affect the sound, may not be an issue but worth thinking about. You may find that just the acoustic carpet on the spacers will give it that extra clearance

Did you sort out the aerial amp thing then
Old 20 September 2010, 07:59 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

The only issue with the springs and speakers touching is the vibrations that may affect the sound, may not be an issue but worth thinking about. You may find that just the acoustic carpet on the spacers will give it that extra clearance

Did you sort out the aerial amp thing then
Old 20 September 2010, 08:10 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Yeah I did, it was held on by a clip and a bolt like we thought. It came off easy and after a bit of head scratching I found a nice gap just under the front left side of the shelf and used theshelves push fitting hole to re-bolt it.
Old 20 September 2010, 08:15 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Nice one
Old 20 September 2010, 08:49 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi
if so how can it be done best please. I have the two isofix points as well which I don't mind losing!
If anyone has some piccies of them fitted or any rear shelf mounted speakers please pass on your thoughts!
Any reason why you are fitting these speakers in to a car.... what are you aiming to achieve mate?
Old 20 September 2010, 10:01 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.

I've got a custom made full rear shelf for 6x9's for sale if your interested?

Its for a new-age and allows you to put speakers in, without cutting out you original shelf.

If you're interested pm me and I'll tell you more.

Thanks-Jimmy
Old 20 September 2010, 10:43 PM
Scoobyn
Scooby Regular

Personally i wouldnt bother, ive just recently took my 6x9's out of the back of mine and ive bridged up a 4 channel amp into a good set of infinity components in the front, (with a sub in the boot) and it sounds awesome!!
Old 20 September 2010, 10:57 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hence why I am asking why he OP thinks he needs a set of 6x9's. I would never go back to creating an incorrect "sound stage", even if I had a set of 6x9's that cost the earth given to me for free. IMO they are gash.
Old 21 September 2010, 04:07 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I fitted 6x9s because it allowed me to get some extra bass and overall better sound without the weight of a sub and amp combo. I've combined it with a good head-unit and some alpine components up-front.
Old 21 September 2010, 05:23 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

And I'm doing it as I need all the boot space as I am expecting my first child so will have prams etc in there.
Old 21 September 2010, 12:41 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Whilst 6x9's may add "some" extra bass the damage it does to the overall sound stage and quality, far outweighs any small bass benefit they provide. It all depends on whether you put emphasis on volume over sound quality.

Good bass set-ups can be had with as small a sub as an 8" and even 10" / 12" subs can be utilised within a boot with minimal space occupancy with a custom box, if this is really required.
Old 21 September 2010, 01:14 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I suppose it all depends upon whether you are a sound purist that wants the perfect sound stage in your car, in which case it makes a difference provided you can cancel out all of the other acoustic interference, or whether you just want to be able to crank up the volume on a long run. For me it is the later and as the music comes from my ipod so is MP3 format at 312k quality at best, the purist thing does not bother me in the slightest.

Also, the additional weight in terms of 6x9s vs amp, plus sub, plus box was a contributing factor. Whilst it is heavier than OE the increase is marginal compared to a larger install and is, for me anyway, the optimum compromise.
Old 21 September 2010, 01:14 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I suppose it all depends upon whether you are a sound purist that wants the perfect sound stage in your car, in which case it makes a difference provided you can cancel out all of the other acoustic interference, or whether you just want to be able to crank up the volume on a long run. For me it is the later and as the music comes from my ipod so is MP3 format at 312k quality at best, the purist thing does not bother me in the slightest.

Also, the additional weight in terms of 6x9s vs amp, plus sub, plus box was a contributing factor. Whilst it is heavier than OE the increase is marginal compared to a larger install and is, for me anyway, the optimum compromise.
Old 21 September 2010, 02:23 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc

Exactly what I was after, and I have some really good quality speakers sitting in my loft doing nothing!
Old 06 October 2010, 05:08 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Default In at last.

Well after a bit of a break due to the weather my install is complete. I am really happy with how it has turned out and also more importantly how it sounds.

Below is a brief write up on how I created my rear shelf.

I first had to remove the rear seats (two bolts on the base and four on the back, the back part has to be lifted off as it is on hooks. I also had to remove the C pillar covers to get the shelf out but these are just fitted with push fittings and a good tug got them out.

The shelf is held down by three push fittings at the front and also four which are out of view unless you look in from the boot.

With the shelf removed you can see the holes better that the 6 x 9 magnets will go into and also this will allow you to remove the radio ariel booster box thingy (if you don't have your ariel on the A pillar ).

With a bit of maneuvering I was able to refit the booster in a nice gap at the front left of where the shelf will be and bolted it in using one of the push fit holes which also allowed me to secure that side of the shelf when re-fitting.

Next was the shelf itself, I started out buy cutting out the 18mm MDF spacers for the 6 x 9's and worked out the positioning. I angled my speakers up at the back a bit using the ridge of the shelf and once I was happy with the placement I checked the holes would be in the right place it marked it out on the shelf and got cutting.

I used the speakers to check the holes were big enough and that the clearance was good enough on the boot springs ( mine touch slightly but don't effect the boot lid operation or cause any vibrations) Once I test fitted ,trimmed ,test fitted ,trimmed a few more times I was happy and screwed the spacers to the shelf.

To tidy up the shelf I bought some 20mm medium density sponge (£5 form Dunelm Mill) and cut it out to fill in the gaps between the spacers so it looked a bit more factory fit.

Once I was happy with the fit I used black acoustic carpet to cover the shelf and cut out the holes for the speakers, middle seat belt and rear shelf vents.

All that was left then was to wire it to the amp and re-fit the shelf and all the interior trim and rear seats. I put some left over sponger under the shelf for a bit of support and sound deadening as suggested by Jon.

While I was at it I also fitted a new set of components in the front doors. I used to have 15cm Infinitys but changed to 16.5cm MTX THS652 Thunders and they are awesome.

I had to make some 18mm MDF spacers and also had to change the wiring throughout the whole system as the original front speakers had some really thin speaker wire and the power cable was installed with the fuse in the boot

I hope this helps anyone who was thinking about putting 6 x 9s in their newage the sound clearly isn't as good as having a sub but if you need the space or to save weight this is the way to go IMHO.
Old 06 October 2010, 06:56 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Looks good Mart, I have some foam sat in the garage ready to do mine similar
Old 06 October 2010, 07:47 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jon, it came out alot better than I hoped
You will be pleased with the results when you get yours done
Old 19 October 2010, 09:36 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

or get some of these, or something similar? (first ones i found)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...vb69_large.jpg

i heard a set of 6x9 woofers in a small car ages ago, and was amazed, im still deciding if i want to use something like these, or a sub set up, as its hassle free with these 6x9s and wont take up space.

also, when carpeting your stealth shelf...something like this is ideal (stappled over the hole) to stop the carpet sagging) (the stuff from my local shop looks better, but you get the idea)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165625
Old 24 October 2010, 09:48 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Tim, don't do it!

Take a listen to mine next time you're about - just uprate the fronts and add an amp if needed that is after all where you sit! I have a sub as well but you could dispense with that or make it easily removable.
Old 25 September 2011, 09:54 AM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Good job there Martin; question though (if you're still on the forum; this thread is a year old), with just the flimsy shelf attached to the metal shelf (chassis) of the car, do you get any vibration as the flimsy shelf lifts?

I'm completing the same task as yourself for the very same reason. I've spent hundreds on front speakers trying to achieve what many ICE professionals confirm is nigh on impossible, and so 6x9's or rear shelf speakers are the logical route.

The comments above regarding not completing this task are negligible, what one person likes in sound another will not, it is completely down to the individual to decide what works for them and what's best. My opinion is that front speakers cannot create a good level of bass unless you start modifying the door cards to house larger speakers than 6.5". The doors are also very tinny and the door card poppers vibrate when you push too much base through the front. The door could be modified and sealed but I'm not sure I want to go to this extent; I may end up having no choice but for now, I'll be trying out the 6x9 (blackair 69's) on the rear shelf.

My problem is that I was spoilt with the standard JBL system in my Coupe 406 which was bloody awesome. Every time someone new came into the car, they asked whether I had a sub in the boot (which of course I didn't; I have kids! ). I understand that Peugout would of paid some ice experts to create the perfect 'sound stage', but jumping in the Subaru and listening to the sound system was such a disappointment.

The only difference I intend to make to your install above Martin, is to attach the MDF to the actual metal shelf, completely cover the metal shelf in sound dampening material and then foam, cut holes in the shelf and foam the top and recover for a 'stealth' appearance, then slide it over the top and pop it into position....

Sounds like a full days work!
Old 25 September 2011, 10:16 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MK1ITS
Good job there Martin; question though (if you're still on the forum; this thread is a year old), with just the flimsy shelf attached to the metal shelf (chassis) of the car, do you get any vibration as the flimsy shelf lifts?

I'm completing the same task as yourself for the very same reason. I've spent hundreds on front speakers trying to achieve what many ICE professionals confirm is nigh on impossible, and so 6x9's or rear shelf speakers are the logical route.

The comments above regarding not completing this task are negligible, what one person likes in sound another will not, it is completely down to the individual to decide what works for them and what's best. My opinion is that front speakers cannot create a good level of bass unless you start modifying the door cards to house larger speakers than 6.5". The doors are also very tinny and the door card poppers vibrate when you push too much base through the front. The door could be modified and sealed but I'm not sure I want to go to this extent; I may end up having no choice but for now, I'll be trying out the 6x9 (blackair 69's) on the rear shelf.

My problem is that I was spoilt with the standard JBL system in my Coupe 406 which was bloody awesome. Every time someone new came into the car, they asked whether I had a sub in the boot (which of course I didn't; I have kids! ). I understand that Peugout would of paid some ice experts to create the perfect 'sound stage', but jumping in the Subaru and listening to the sound system was such a disappointment.

The only difference I intend to make to your install above Martin, is to attach the MDF to the actual metal shelf, completely cover the metal shelf in sound dampening material and then foam, cut holes in the shelf and foam the top and recover for a 'stealth' appearance, then slide it over the top and pop it into position....

Sounds like a full days work!
Hi mate, I'm still here

In answer to your question I don't get any vibration from the shelf as the weight of the speakers hold the OEM shelf snug against the metal one.

Doing a whole new mdf shelf was my next play had this one not worked, and it should sound a bit better the way you are doing it.

Post up how you get on.