ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY INSTALL!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2001, 07:51 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well lads, here is roughly what my install is gona consist of.

DLS DIGITAL (yes thats DIGITAL not analogue) AMP made in sweden. this thing is the bollox!!! it comes in a wooden crate because its that naughty!!

Diamond 10 inch Sub with nice box built by a man named Dougie.

Diamond front end

Kenwood mask cd player

Possibly, average rear speakers but not sure. Might just leave the holes there to let the bass thump through.

Now when thats set up, we are prob looking at about 140db maybe a bit more. We are talking £1500-£2000 worth of stereo equip.

Oh, and i forgot to mention. Its all gona be nicely deadened, carpeted and lit with a boy racer cheesy neon lighting!!!

So what do you think?? I would appreciate all comments b4 i depart with my pennies.
John - im sure you will have an opinion or 2 on that!!!

Old 27 September 2001, 07:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digital amp = class D = for subwoofers only IIRC.
Old 27 September 2001, 08:15 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

john,

can you say that again but in english??? hee hee!!! bear in mind i am just a young lad with very little knowledge of that the comments you said actually mean.

sadly no links on the amp. i cant find DLS sweden on the net at all. it is the first of its kind and really looks the business.

my install is being carried out by a man called dougie. he works for Toad and did work for KAS. he did my window tints and has done that and installs for most cars in the town. if you were at knockhill at the weekend, he was rallying a yellow nova about on the track.

as for cables - he is using top stuff.

130db is nothing!!! nah, it wont be up full anyway but when it comes to max power at crail, my car will be entering!!
lets just say, my car will prob have the best sounds in the town!!

insurance - well, i wont go there!!!

what does the last bit mean??? i didnt get that about the geometry.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john banks:
<B>Digital amp = class D = for subwoofers only IIRC? Any web links re the amp?

Sounds very nice. Who is installing it?

Remember 130dB is the start of cochlear damage.

I think you will need some very fat power cable and your alternator testing/upgrading/new battery on a six year old car.

If you are spending that much you may want to consider 1/3 octave equalisers, running with active crossovers and getting it professional real time analysed.

Edited to say make sure you have good insurance for it all.

As an aside, on your car I would also consider what geometry you are running and consider if the springs/dampers are matched to your wheels which are 2" bigger than OEM - big increase in unsprung weight.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 27 September 2001).][/quote]

Old 27 September 2001, 08:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I've since edited my previous message with a link. Let us know which models you are planning. Also consider Genesis and MTX Thunder, as well as PG and RF.

If you are running only one sub you will need it to be dual voice coil so that you can run it at 2ohms bridged to extract the maximum power out of your amp from the looks of things.

Basically what I am saying is consider running the tweeters off separate amplifier channels, and consider an equaliser which you can have professionally setup to the frequency response inside your individual car. At this price it could be argued that you will not be getting the most out of your equipment unless you do this.

I like the tints you've had done.

When I saw your car today I thought I would ask what you did with the suspension when you put MY00 wheels on, for the reason that 1.6LX came with 13 or 14" wheels and the springs and dampers will be set for these. When you put much heavier wheel/tyre combo on such as what you now have then the ride/handling could be well off optimum. If you have not had the geometry checked since you got the car it would be a good idea so that the toe in and camber of the wheels are at least the same and they are pointing in the correct directions. Even on a new car this can make a massive difference to handling - did to mine. Don't get the geometry done though if you later get the suspension done as you'd have to do it all again. The car I got from the same dealer as you had the geometry WELL out as the previous owner had kerbed one of the alloys and knocked it out of line.
Old 27 September 2001, 09:09 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

im looking at the link now. so whats your opinion on DLS??

the guy who is going my install said that PG and RF are not as good. he said RF are not what they used to be and PG are overpriced.
he did mention genesis but i cant remember what he said about them.

the amp i am getting is the 4 channel one. it retails at about £600 + so i believe.

do you like my tints?? £100 and you can have the same although i am having the rear windscreen redone.

as for the geo - it aint never bin done. i just stuck my 16's on as far as i know, no geo was checked.
who should i see about doing it?? how much??

what do you think of Diamond audio?? it looks like that will be the sub i use. the 10 is supposedly the same as the 12 except the 12 drops 3 herz lower. i know a mate with the diamond in his 106 rallye and its loud.

also what about the diamond front end?? my mate used to be an infinity man but says you cant beat the diamonds for quality.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john banks:
<B>I've since edited my previous message with a link. Let us know which models you are planning. Also consider Genesis and MTX Thunder, as well as PG and RF.

If you are running only one sub you will need it to be dual voice coil so that you can run it at 2ohms bridged to extract the maximum power out of your amp from the looks of things.

Basically what I am saying is consider running the tweeters off separate amplifier channels, and consider an equaliser which you can have professionally setup to the frequency response inside your individual car. At this price it could be argued that you will not be getting the most out of your equipment unless you do this.

I like the tints you've had done.

When I saw your car today I thought I would ask what you did with the suspension when you put MY00 wheels on, for the reason that 1.6LX came with 13 or 14" wheels and the springs and dampers will be set for these. When you put much heavier wheel/tyre combo on such as what you now have then the ride/handling could be well off optimum. If you have not had the geometry checked since you got the car it would be a good idea so that the toe in and camber of the wheels are at least the same and they are pointing in the correct directions. Even on a new car this can make a massive difference to handling - did to mine. Don't get the geometry done though if you later get the suspension done as you'd have to do it all again. The car I got from the same dealer as you had the geometry WELL out as the previous owner had kerbed one of the alloys and knocked it out of line.[/quote]

Old 27 September 2001, 10:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Never heard of DLS before. The specs sound good, but not particularly better than the competition.

For your sort of music a 12 will probably be better than a 10 for low frequencies. Can't believe it's only going to be 3Hz lower - think of the surface area of 12" cf 10" - about 44% more. Anyway, how do they select the low end freq response - you need to know how many dB down they are taking the cut off to compare otherwise the figure is artificial.

Diamond have a good reputation and if the right bits were selected by someone that knows what they are doing and installed well then I'm sure it would sound fantastic.

If you are spending this much you need a quote from the installer in writing as to the spec and model numbers of everything he is going to install. On it you need to have specified the grade of wiring, soundproofing, labour, VAT etc. Maybe he is a nice chap, or a friend, but if you are paying him this much expect no less - when folk pay someone they know to do something semi-formally then problems can arise and it can turn into a nightmare. It would be like conducting business with your mates and you might make assumptions that you would explicity state if you were going to a professional. You need to know what exactly you are going to get and really should research yourself and find a review for any piece of equipment like an expensive amp or sub or components. Try some of the links on my webpage, try
Old 27 September 2001, 10:34 PM
Luke
BANNED

"War and Peace" LOL John!!!

Anyway, I have good knowledge of DLS stuff.
I run their pro series speakers in the front of my legacy. I run them through a Nakamichi active crossover.the front amp is a 4ch Soundstream,just running them. "Genesis" import them. In the states they have a good reputation. I would be happy to use any of their stuff.

Would agree about new R/F stuff ,No way is as good as the older stuff.

Try to get front speakers on axis as much as possible.

be lucky
Old 28 September 2001, 12:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
"Michael Jackson to test the sub"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you really, really are having a laugh John! Please tell me this was a joke, otherwise I'll just have to taunt you forever

What's wrong with leftfield for a sub workout, or anything (ANYTHING) rather than Michael Jackson???
Old 28 September 2001, 01:02 AM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

This is my second attempt to post here dont know what happened to the first one lol.
Anyway I got the DLS 2 channel amp installed recently by SKIDZ in Falkirk. Its the dogs bollocks.
I use Diamond Hexes in the front and a Diamond McDaddy sub.
I also got some good advice from the guys here and invested in the PG EQ232 which gives me plenty of control.
Loads of other bits and pieces give me the quality sounds that I want.
I only live down the road in Falkirk and will be passing Dunfermline on Sat on the way to the AWD meet on Saturday in Perth. Let me know if you want to meet up for a listen. All the best with your install mate - and go for the DLS you wont regret it its awesome!!!
Old 28 September 2001, 12:51 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

[This message has been edited by ScottishMenace (edited 28 September 2001).]
Old 28 September 2001, 01:47 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

NO JOKE!!!

John is a die hard Jackson fan, he told me myself!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B> Now you really, really are having a laugh John! Please tell me this was a joke, otherwise I'll just have to taunt you forever

What's wrong with leftfield for a sub workout, or anything (ANYTHING) rather than Michael Jackson???[/quote]

Old 28 September 2001, 01:52 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Alright mate,

Well, the guy who is doing my install used to work for KAS. He gets all equip a bit cheaper. He is also doing an install for Skidtz in one of their cars, possibly a 106. He is using a DLS amp for that which cost about £2000 and is 1 metre long.

So he has been telling me about the DLS range. He is also a big fan of diamond. So we will have similar installs.

Its good to hear your opinion on DLS so i know i aint wasting my cash!! As for the diamond well i have been in 2 cars now with diamond gear and they are loud!!

Whats your scooby like?? I will look out for you.

I will be the young lad driving about in a red scooby with turbo bits!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScottishMenace:
<B>This is my second attempt to post here dont know what happened to the first one lol.
Anyway I got the DLS 2 channel amp installed recently by SKIDZ in Falkirk. Its the dogs bollocks.
I also got some good advice from the guys here and invested in the PG EQ232 which gives me plenty of control.
I only live down the road in Falkirk and will be passing Dunfermline on Sat on the way to the AWD meet on Saturday in Perth. Let me know if you want to meet up for a listen. All the best with your install mate - and go for the DLS you wont regret it its awesome!!![/quote]

Old 28 September 2001, 01:58 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B>
[snip]
What's wrong with leftfield for a sub workout, or anything (ANYTHING) rather than Michael Jackson???[/quote]

Might I humbly suggest Bjork as an alternative.

Old 28 September 2001, 02:02 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

GOod choice. How about one of the All Is Full Of Love remixes? That flexes my windows. Failing that, try some Photek (Form & Function is a good choice), or Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works II

Steve.
Old 28 September 2001, 02:07 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Then again,

you could simply by MINISTRY OF SOUND SPRING OR SUMMER 2001 and that will test all your installs!!! oh, and you will experience some tunes that your old foggies may not have heard of!!! (just joking, we all love M Jackson too John so dont feel bad)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by stevencotton:
<B>GOod choice. How about one of the All Is Full Of Love remixes? That flexes my windows. Failing that, try some Photek (Form & Function is a good choice), or Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works II

Steve.[/quote]

Old 28 September 2001, 02:48 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Alright mate,

Well, the guy who is doing my install used to work for KAS. He gets all equip a bit cheaper. He is also doing an install for Skidtz in one of their cars, possibly a 106. He is using a DLS amp for that which cost about £2000 and is 1 metre long.

So he has been telling me about the DLS range. He is also a big fan of diamond. So we
will have similar installs.
Its good to hear your opinion on DLS so i know i aint wasting my cash!! As for the diamond well i have been in 2 cars now with diamond gear and they are loud!!

Whats your scooby like?? I will look out for you.

I will be the young lad driving about in a red scooby with turbo bits!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScottishMenace:
<B>This is my second attempt to post here dont know what happened to the first one lol.
I only live down the road in Falkirk and will be passing Dunfermline on Sat on the way to the AWD meet on Saturday in Perth. Let me know if you want to meet up for a listen. All the best with your install mate - and go for the DLS you wont regret it its awesome!!![/quote]

Old 28 September 2001, 02:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Is it me, or did that last post have a hint of deja vu?
Old 28 September 2001, 11:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

No I won't listen to all your blaspemies about the good man Michael Jackson His Earth Song remix has the most incredible bass I have ever heard. That is all I have to say. I only listen to it when I want to hear the sub. Makes Ministry of Sound stuff sound like Play School. And if you can get your windows flexing with more than 131dB off a single 150W sub then I will buy you a pint. If you lose I play you the Earth Song again.
Old 28 September 2001, 11:23 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Yep it sure did Nick but the same thing happened to me last night I posted and it never appeared so I posted again and got two of them lol.
Anyway John us old timers must stick together the Michael Jackson History album is the best sounding CD I have played. Are you going to Perth on Saturday? would like to meet up with you sometime.
Old 28 September 2001, 11:35 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Bazil

Sorry I missed part of your post there - I drive a DBM MY2000. Reg has DAA in it.

Dave Allan
Old 28 September 2001, 11:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Not sure if I'll make it - brother in law is coming up in his new S40 T4 which he reckons is very fast. 0-60 7.2 30-70 6.0. Wait till he feels 0-60 in c.4.7 30-70 c.4.7 and the traction on the Scooby
Old 29 September 2001, 10:07 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

John Banks - I can not belive what I am reading - you poor, poor man...... - someones got to have their vices I suppose - but Michael Jackson?

Do you do a bit of train spotting as well?

Bazil
As for the install - £1500-£2000. That just about covers the cost of my amps - which I may change aanyway as they are just not up to the job - being naff Genesis jobs in my car!

The best install I heard last night was Krytens car - puts me back to (I mean Cheltenham Car hifi...) to the drawing board..... Then again it did cost many thousands whereas I've only spent a pitiful £3k+ so far on mine - but I'm a total novice and no nothing - other than I think I need to spend about another £5k to get a 'reasonable' sound stage!!
Old 29 September 2001, 04:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Went along to AWD, but none of you were there. I had my History album just in case

Brother in law couldn't believe quite the g-forces in the wet... Made me feel like Colin McRae. He thought I was a good driver - in fact it is just the Scooby showing off.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 29 September 2001).]
Old 29 September 2001, 05:34 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

John,

you so modest!!! you aint a bad driver - you just have really bad tunes!!

<B>Went along to AWD, but none of you were there. I had my History album just in case

Brother in law couldn't believe quite the g-forces in the wet... Made me feel like Colin McRae. He thought I was a good driver - in fact it is just the Scooby showing off.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 29 September 2001).][/quote]

Old 29 September 2001, 07:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I am under no illusions of grandeur re any comparisons with Colin McRae.

In return for slagging off my favourite pop star I have found you some essential kit for you install.
Old 30 September 2001, 07:53 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

john,

cheers for that. if u type in just the RP part and then click on more info it takes u to a pic of the product and there it says In Stock.

the guy that is doing my install already has a bit of neon lighting planned so when i open the boot, the sub and amp is nicely lit but not cheesy (hopefully).

thanks again

<B>I am under no illusions of grandeur re any comparisons with Colin McRae.

In return for slagging off my favourite pop star I have found you some essential kit for you install.
Old 30 September 2001, 09:49 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
What head unit is it you are going to use??

Is it a PS series?

David
Old 01 October 2001, 09:29 AM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

david,

i think its gona be a kenwood mask prob about the 7050 model. the guy doing my install said i want to get the best headunit i can afford which has good preouts. i think the kenwood is good for that.

why, u got a suggestion??

he also said he could get me an alpine at a good price.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by David_Wallis:
<B>What head unit is it you are going to use??

Is it a PS series?

David[/quote]

Old 02 October 2001, 08:04 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I saw you drooling when I drove past.
Old 02 October 2001, 09:30 AM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

alright,

indeed it is a small world. it its dougie that is doing my install.

do you have your windows tinted?? if not i highly recommend dougie as he did mine about 2 weeks ago.

its down to what cd player he gets for me, but the kenwood is favoured over the alpine.

<B>Bazil
Looks like we are going for the same system indeed I have the kenwood mask system also. I spoke to my mate at SKIDZ and it is him who is getting the 1m special DLS amp. I believe the guy Dougie who worked in KAS is a mate of his. Small world

John
I was at AWD on Saturday but left about 1.30 and drooled over the EVO 7 at the Merc garage for ages. I am tempted [/quote]

Quick Reply: MY INSTALL!!!!!!!!!