ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

HELP !!! amp advice for sub

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2010, 04:19 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!! amp advice for sub

thanks for looking firstly, i have just been out yesterday to collect a sub i won on ebay. it is a 15" vibe space passive sub (whatever that means) and as you have probably guessed technical stuff is not my area of expertise. now i have been told that it is going to need a fairly powerful amp just to get it going and this is where my problem starts. i just dont have a clue!! if someone could just tell me (or even link me to) which one will do the job then i would be very grateful.
Old 24 May 2010, 05:08 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
thanks for looking firstly, i have just been out yesterday to collect a sub i won on ebay. it is a 15" vibe space passive sub (whatever that means) and as you have probably guessed technical stuff is not my area of expertise. now i have been told that it is going to need a fairly powerful amp just to get it going and this is where my problem starts. i just dont have a clue!! if someone could just tell me (or even link me to) which one will do the job then i would be very grateful.
Get a JL Audio 500/1 or a 1000/1
Old 24 May 2010, 05:17 PM
incarsolutions
Scooby Regular

that wholely depends on the budget you've got for an amp, jl's are awesome (i've got a 1000/1 in my car) but it would set you back in excess of £400 realistically (thats for a good used one) you could keep it all vibe as they do a good black box mono, or a slick mono 750w rms for under £200
Old 24 May 2010, 07:06 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

what rms is your sub ? I ground zero 1000rms 15" and run a 900wrms amp with it and it blows the ears of anyone in the car, SO MUCH i have to turn the amp tohalf power...
Old 24 May 2010, 07:07 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by incarsolutions
that wholely depends on the budget you've got for an amp, jl's are awesome (i've got a 1000/1 in my car) but it would set you back in excess of £400 realistically (thats for a good used one) you could keep it all vibe as they do a good black box mono, or a slick mono 750w rms for under £200
cheers for those, the black box mono then, that will defo be adequate?
Old 25 May 2010, 12:21 AM
bobtheboss78
Scooby Regular

was it that vibe space sub up in leeds???
Old 25 May 2010, 10:00 AM
McPhie
Scooby Regular

I've got a 15" Vibe space sub in mine. Running it with a Vibe Monobox 4 2800W. Seen them go pretty cheap on ebay as they are discontinued, but is a proper beast of an amp, designed to go with the space series subs.
Is yours one of the first ones with the greyish flange round the cone, or a newer one with black round the cone. If its a new one would be good to know if its dual 4 ohm voice coils or dual 2 ohm.

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2010, 10:02 AM
McPhie
Scooby Regular

Tatty one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vibe-MonoBox-I...item45f2ffa963
Old 25 May 2010, 08:18 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobtheboss78
was it that vibe space sub up in leeds???
it was mate £40 in a proper vibe box, not bad either.
Old 25 May 2010, 08:23 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by McPhie
I've got a 15" Vibe space sub in mine. Running it with a Vibe Monobox 4 2800W. Seen them go pretty cheap on ebay as they are discontinued, but is a proper beast of an amp, designed to go with the space series subs.
Is yours one of the first ones with the greyish flange round the cone, or a newer one with black round the cone. If its a new one would be good to know if its dual 4 ohm voice coils or dual 2 ohm.
i think it is one of the first ones, like a grey/green outer circle. also i think it is dual ohm as it has 2 connectors on the side of the box, each one has 3000w on it as well
Old 25 May 2010, 11:14 PM
bobtheboss78
Scooby Regular

it was mate £40 in a proper vibe box, not bad either.
i was gonna bid but forgot... its welll worth 40 quid!!!!!.. and you will need a hell of a amp to run it.. i was looking at the vibe space amp that has 1500 rms at 2 ohm that would do it i think.. if not swap you for a nice sub and amp set up.. either vibe 12 inch or a alpine type r 12 inch with a vibe slick 0 amp and all bits to go with it lol
Old 26 May 2010, 08:54 AM
McPhie
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats the first Space sub they did, the same as what I've got. You got a ******* bargain there mate Is it the massive box with the huge rectangular turbo port on the right of the sub?
It runs dual 4 ohm voice coils so you need to connect both terminals on the side of the box in parallel to the amp. This means it will be a 2 ohm load on the amp so bare minimum you need something that supports this. Trust me, if you get the Monobox 4 you will not be dissapointed, only issue is having a boot big enough to fit it all in. Goes in the classic saloon nicely.
Old 27 May 2010, 03:20 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by McPhie
Yeah thats the first Space sub they did, the same as what I've got. You got a ******* bargain there mate Is it the massive box with the huge rectangular turbo port on the right of the sub?
It runs dual 4 ohm voice coils so you need to connect both terminals on the side of the box in parallel to the amp. This means it will be a 2 ohm load on the amp so bare minimum you need something that supports this. Trust me, if you get the Monobox 4 you will not be dissapointed, only issue is having a boot big enough to fit it all in. Goes in the classic saloon nicely.
yup
Old 29 May 2010, 12:47 PM
Scoobyn
Scooby Regular

ask on www.talkaudio.co.uk its a grest forum and you'll get lots more usefull advice!
Old 29 May 2010, 02:17 PM
joe joe88
Scooby Regular

Post Ice

Always have an amp that can out power your sub, the idea being that you adjust the gain down to suite your subs comfortable out put without over stressing the reverb of the cone or the voice coil.

You will find if the sub out powers the amp you will be turning the gain up so much it will reach its output limit and begin clipping befor the sub reaches its optimum output. (Therefor being dissapointed)

If you under power a sub it can actually damage the voice coil, always pay attention to the rms rating of components rather than the peak in watts, as this is what really matters.

Also if your running one 15" sub i would also recommend a monoblock to power it. Those space subs are pretty good value for money. Like mentioned though if you have the budget there is only one manufacturer to go for.......... The almighty JL audio!! I have heard a set up that a freind had using two of thier W7 Subwoofers and its truely unbeatable!