Stealth installs - let's see

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2010, 12:21 AM
cubicleboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth installs - let's see

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some inspiration for this summer's project.

I'm torn between making my llife easy and getting a box I can take out if I need the space or doing a proper box in the spare tyre well by plugging up any holes from taking out the hardware, deadline the bottom and build a shallow frame around the top of it and use some type of filler for an air tight seal around the edges.
Old 28 March 2010, 01:36 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

line it all with flashband. cut an 18" circle out of 1" mdf for the base, some struts for the sides to bring it to floor level. then some thin ply wood to go around the side of the circular box. the fibre glass the seals. and then hey presto.

my install is not stealth but its all flocked and looks really good. dont have a sub yet though as i was trying to sstay away from that
Old 28 March 2010, 03:15 AM
cubicleboy
Scooby Regular

here's my 3am deep thought - I think bass is a drug really, once you start you can never really go back, unless someone says you can't have it...and then you start to hide it in places (cough).

Even with decent mid bass I miss the deep, clean bass you can only get from a well powered sealed 10+ inch sub. Without it, its like eating a veggie hot dog, the first bite taste something like the real deal and you can tell yourself its food but taste it again and you realize you have no idea what you are actually eating, and its missing something....the meat.

appreciate the suggestion which would be more flush than what I had in mind which is better, what are you glassing the plywood to on the outside edge to? a flashband lip?
Old 28 March 2010, 07:05 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I just mounted the amp to a board against the back seat, then strapped the sub box to it. For track days etc. I just remove the sub box complete and turn the front crossover off.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:37 AM
cubicleboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
I just mounted the amp to a board against the back seat, then strapped the sub box to it. For track days etc. I just remove the sub box complete and turn the front crossover off.
So you take the box out and the amp stays attached to the back board? Do you have any pics handy?
Old 28 March 2010, 11:26 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

flash band is sound deadening for the floor. the ply can be added in multi layers to make it thick and the glass is just fibre filler that is used to seal all the edges and make it strong