ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Jap import WRX - audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2002, 07:37 PM
AC5676
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I`m having a nightmare geting hold of infrmation on this car because its a japanese import; the car has onboard clarion navigation but its VICS based (jap FM telemetry) however it also has a tv that comes up from the top of the dash via push button on one of the head units, yet no one seems to know anything about them.

So, question is anyone else got this? What have you done with it? What could I do with it? anyone know how to get the damn thing out!?!?
Old 19 March 2002, 08:52 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Sounds interesting - have you got a pic?
Old 20 March 2002, 02:16 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Is that an OEM fitment or aftermarket? Cos AFAIK, most of their OEM satnav systems & audio components are supplied by Kenwood.
If it's a Clarion, it should be badged as an 'Addzest'.
U'll need a band expander for receiving FM in UK, and the TV won't work as it uses NTSC tuner. I don't think the satnav will work either cos UK maps aren't available. Maybe u can keep the monitor but change the satnav drive to one which can be used in the UK.
Old 20 March 2002, 07:00 AM
AC5676
Scooby Newbie

Its definately a pair of clarion units, the bottom one is a mini disc and fm/am, it also has a "disc" button and an "aux" button, it is connected via ce net (clarion bus technology) to the din unit above a "subaru integrated navigation unit" also a clarion unit.

So, does this mean the screen is NTSC? Would it work if I directly connected it to a uk head unit?

Adam
Old 20 March 2002, 07:01 AM
AC5676
Scooby Newbie

How do I post pictures then?

Its a bit of a rare beast, its an auto that has steering wheel gear change also...

AC
Old 20 March 2002, 03:16 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

I don't think u need to change the headunits, all u need is a band expander for the radio to receive UK frequencies.
The monitor is another matter, as u can't use the satnav function nor tv, it's a bit redundant. Although u can buy a NTSC-PAL converter to receive UK TV, the cost is not cheap.
Do u know which interface the monitor runs on? If's it's standard Clarion interface then u can see if Clarion offers satnav & tv components for UK market. If they do then u can swap out the Jap units (basically, the satnav drive & the tv tuner,both usually hidden) for a UK/EU one.
All Jap New Age WRX have the option of the 'Sportshift' box, and it has 250ps regardless of being manual or auto.