Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Soundproofing the roof???

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2002, 10:39 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having sat in the car during some serious rain, it seemed to me that an astounding amount of racket comes from the roof. Seeming that a lot of the noise within any car comes from the transmission of the vibwations formed by road noise, exhaust, etc. by the actual structure (rather than directly) - hence the arrival of dampening materials such as brown bread & dynamat -surely as good a transmitter of noise as the roof (huge single sheet of metal as well) should be 'deadened'?
After that hideously complicated sentance, I think the questions are -
has anyone tried sound-deadening the roof?
does anyone think it might do anything?
does anyone even know how to remove the "$%^&^& lining without destroying it?
I think that's it for my post-pub questions.
Ta
Old 15 March 2002, 11:05 PM
Luke
BANNED

Nom

Excuse me highjacking the thread!! When I visited Rockford fosgate. The guy who builds their installs showed me their new van. It was stripped out. Only the Loom !! He had fitted R/F sound deadening layers to all the panels. About £300.00 trade!! The roof had a piece of MDF about 15-18mm thich bonded to the roof!!! with a few layers of S/D the roof felt/sounded like concrete!!! The doors where like a bank vault!! I would hate to know the performance loss due to the extra weight... Bu yes your idea is good. The only problem is how to remove and refit the liner???
Old 20 March 2002, 04:39 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Right...

It does make a difference...

But its very extreme for a normal car. Better to get the floor and arches of the car done first - the roof doesnt generate anywhere near as much rumble as the floor.

Plus its a pig to do.... best not bother unless you want to win sound ofs and enjoy burning Bitumin falling on your head all weekend.... and then finding the roof panels wont fit back as 90% of the time they wont...

Put it last on list!!

JZa
Old 20 March 2002, 04:51 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

OK - nice to hear another view!
Done the floor & arches, etc - I've just never come across a roof with 0 sound insulation on it before - even Pugs have it
Old 21 March 2002, 02:56 PM
steve the sound man
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi I have a company that does sound proofing for vehicles in particular the Subaru range.

We cover the bonnet lid, interior floors front and rear, under rear seat, under spare wheel, rear wheel arches, under boot carpet and door pads. The kits are DIY or I can fit them for you.

I have a new product that is a revolutionary liquid sound proofing that can be applied to the roof rear winga under spare wheel. It is water based and non toxic and can be applied by roller or brush. It is great for reducing drumming and vibrations.

Visit our web sites
www.bjacoustics.com
www.noisekiller.com

for further info or ring 0161 643 8070