Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

EQ Location.... Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2001, 11:40 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody ever had or got an eq in their car...

I used to have it in my passenger footwell under perspex.. but was too much hassle with people complaining about the leg room and doing the carpet was a bast@rd..

Glove box is a bit small..

Anybody any ideas of where to mount a phoenix gold 215ix..

Preferably in the car within reach of the drivers seat.

Anybody ever thought about mounting the sliders on the sunvisors.. could be a problem due to interference though... just a shame I have a sunroof or it would be upside down on the roof.

Has anybody ever done a sliding tray under a seat, If so what did you use to do it... or what about an electric tray...

Sorry just thinking discussing outloud or whatever...

Comments please...

I am starting to plan my next install in my head...

Dont worry Chiark Ill either let you know when I start or take plenty of pictures..

Oh yeah.. Anybody know what the current price of 6.4" screens is?? (If my DVD / PS2 Idea takes off...)

David
Old 09 August 2001, 09:49 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you want it in reach of the drivers seat? These things are set and forget....

If its for the initial tuning, then you just need some long power/RCA cables.

That way you can do RTA tuning with it outside the car and the fine tuning with you sat in the drivers seat and the EQ on your lap!
Old 09 August 2001, 11:08 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
True, but I prefer to set the car up for my ears and not for what the rta meter says it should be, hence rear speakers - for rear fill or volume.. and 2x xlc 12's not 1x 10"

I am one of these people that changes my opions of things day in day out, but I suppose if the eq is out of the way I aint gonna adjust it.

David
Old 21 August 2001, 07:23 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hiya,
I was recently looking to upgrade my system and went into Oxford Car Audio for some advice. One of the boys there had a Golf Vr6 as his demo car and gave me a demo.

He had (i think) rockford fosgate eq. under his sun visor, looked really wicked and very discrete when the sun visor is up.
Old 21 August 2001, 08:07 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hos, that'd be a Symmetry EPX from RF. It has a separate "control unit" that's almost made for hiding in the sun visor.

I don't think you'll have any joy trying to mount in the sun visor, but there may be another way...

How tall are you? How much headroom have you got to spare? See where I'm going here???

Old 21 August 2001, 04:21 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

That was my first Idea... but I've got a sh1tty 1200 option sunroof according to the dealer... but if thats how the dealers fit them then dont get one....

Anyway I'm Just under 6ft but sunroof is in the way... unless I mount it in the middle towards the back...

Symmetry EPX... big box in the boot though.. expensive plugin cards... balanced line inputs.. v nice.. nearly bought one..

David

David
Old 21 August 2001, 04:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Bugger, didn't think about sunroof. Aah damn. Occasionally I check ebay for a cheap EPX myself...

Do you have aircon? If not, you may find enough room in the passenger footwell for the eq on flying leads, though this is less than ideal as you may find that you get noise in the extra lengths of cable that you'll have to coil up. (Unlikely, admittedly, but if you're after quality then it may bother you).

Failing this, my bet would be to install in the boot and have a friend modify a range at a time (in a smooth, small way) until you get what you like. This way you would be biased into using what you've used before and think you like...

How's the rest of the car coming along?

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 21 August 2001, 05:03 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I think we're looking at under the driver's seat then. For sliders, I've used strong desk drawers from a bank's filing cabinet. In this case, I think you may want to actually attach it to the bottom of the seat rather than to the floor... I daresay given a bit of bent metal you could make a bracket and take it from there...

Again, just thinking out loud here too
Old 23 August 2001, 11:50 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

That all I do.. (Thinking out loud... gets me into trouble too much though... whoa look at size of them!!)

You know when you are laid back in your chair reading something... and you read something that make you sit up...?

Reading your post just did that..

All I need to do is find a filling cabinet, a sheet of steel..

< Think Out loud Mode On >

If I get an old rail out of filing cab... Easier said than done... mount to some sort of tray and then mount this to the bottom of the seat so it all slides with the seat.. and arrange the cables so they move properly as well...

could be in business just as long as it doesnt rattle with the bass..

Cars coming along well thanks, Now insured, Navtrak being fitted on Wed thanks to PTMW.. 2000Spec Seats in... Door cards being retrimmed when I find suitable cloth..... Alarm just after paint job and then system...

All welding etc done.. all straight... all gearbox clutch engine sorted...

Just gotta make sure system is better than last one! and leaves the car practical .... but I was considering roof rails instead!

Oh yeah and mot on sat. (Then I can transfer plate onto it.... L666xxx replace xxx with initials... )

David