ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 08:07 AM
corky78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speakers

Aright laads i'm looking for some of your know how.

I'm looking to fit 6*9's on the rear.
Has anyone done this and how easy was it.

Thanks
Craig
Old 30 April 2009, 09:55 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Classic, yes?

Not difficult, but time consuming.

Remove old speakers, and the metal plate they are attached to. The plate comes out by reaching under the rear parcel shelf hardboard.

I made spacers out of 18mm mdf for my Sony 6x9's, using the template supplied with the speakers, and cut to a sort of lozenge shape.

Use the speaker to mark, and drill the parcel shelf from underneath. I used long socket headed screws I bought locally via Yell.com the UK's local search engine - search for United Kingdom businesses, bolt and nut stockists, since it is easy to hold the head still with an allen key, while someone else tightens the nuts from underneath. Get nuts and washers while you are at it.

The screws went through the speaker frame, through the spacer, through the drilled holes and into the boot, IIRC mine were 50 mm long, stainless steel. Nuts are Nylock.

My spacers are covered with black "carpet" bought off a roll in a local ICE dealer, held on with Evo-stick underneath. Not a PERFECT match for the rear shelf, but close enough so that no-one has ever remarked that they don't look right.

Some people take out the rear seat and the parcel shelf to make the job easier, but it CAN be done without doing so, especially if you have those seats that allow objects to feed through into the car.

HTH