ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Please Help - re amp and subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 1999, 06:37 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chaps

Could someone please help me as I have not had a lot of luck at my local car stereo shop.

They tried to fit a double 10" box on the two spare channels on my Blaupunkt 4x80W amp but it didnt work - the reason they gave was that the full range of sound was going to the sub box and therefore sounded dreadful - I asked if they could put a passive crossover in after the amp but they said it wasnt possible and I needed a two channel amp on top of the 4 channel.

I think it is possible to put the crossover in after the amp - I am now thinking of bridging the two spare channels and sending this to a single box as the double box did not leave enough room for golf clubs!

Any advice out there??

Thanks
Paul
Old 09 September 1999, 12:54 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

There is two ways round this, a large coil after the amp will "low pass" the bass only, pro-plus do one, but because of the power it is having to handle, they are something like £15 (per channel cos they are mono).
You say you have a 4 channel amp, I am assuming you have two sets of RCA inputs, maybe 1 running from the head unit, and a splitter to make it into 4 channels. You can buy low pass RCA converters, which do the same as the coil, but before it enters the amp. This are rarer, and I cannot comment as to whether they are better.
Actually just hit me (doh!), for about 30-40 you should be able to buy a small active crossover which will take 1 RCA input, and allow 2-3 RCA outputs. These usually allow something like a front, rear and sub output, with some limited gains. I would go this way, well worth the cost.

let me know if you need more info (mail direct), and I will have a word with one of my mates who is an audio installer for you.
Old 09 September 1999, 12:17 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I was running two 10" Rockford Fosgates off two spare channels on my Alpine amp. The amp was only rated at 4*40w (rms @12v) but it still kicked out a lot of bass. The amp had a built in crossover which I assume your amp doesn't.

You can go a few ways:

1) Get two coils which will act as a passive crossover. Try to get something that will cut at 80-100Hz. You'll need two, one of each sub.

2) If the amp will cope, then bridge the two channels for a single sub. What size and configuration will depend on what sort of music you listen to. I prefer the sound of a smaller cone in a sealed box. Lot's of quick bass, but taking up the minimum space in the boot. I personally would only go for a 10" or 12"

3) Run the two spare channels for the rear speakers, and get a bigger amp for the subs.

Which ever way you go, a good stereo shop will be able to tell you the virtues of each of the setups.

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 09 September 1999, 05:52 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Brilliant, thanks chaps!

Paul
Old 12 September 1999, 07:48 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi chaps

Have now installed a 10" CB100 Vibe directly from the amp as I found out it had subwoofer capability after all!!

Have not a clue what my installer was going on about in the first place - it was an easy diy job.

Now sounds champion!!

Cheers
Paul