Complete ICE upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2009, 05:03 AM
Natas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Complete ICE upgrade

Howdy all.

I have a MY95 WRX and I want to upgrade the full ICE system.

I'm not looking for bass that can be heard in the South of France, just want a good clear, crisp and strong sound, with a bit of bass, so I can turn my music up now and then

I am getting a Alpine iDA-X100 head unit.
I would prefer not to start cutting my shelf about, so please any advice on size, type of speakers, amps and small sub etc would be grand.

After reading a few other posts I see AudioScape do installs and builds, it would be great to get some idea of a time and price for various parts and build etc.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Natas; 03 April 2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03 April 2009, 01:31 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my post,for some ideas from audioscape.Ive a bugeye,but the info on hardware should basically be the same albeit specific sizes.Any thoughts,please post into the link
Old 03 April 2009, 09:11 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

depends what you are looking for simple sub build covered in carpet 150.00 made from grp molded in to the rear quater, full painted same as the car grp from 200.00

from this http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/DSC00160.jpg

to this http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...rsubwoofer.jpg

depends what you require the build can take a day to do the rear and frame up the front then another day to resin and mat the enclosure giving it some structure if you want carpet simple quick da sand then glue/carpet for paint da sand easysand and then dry sand 2 pack filler primer flat back paint and laquer

gives you a choice of 2 x 10" or 1 x 12" in the rear quater you could fit a 15" with a squeeze. amp wise depends what you are looking for 4ch or 5 ch. mids tweeters front and rear or just keep the good stuff at the front.

depends on your budget as well.
Old 07 April 2009, 03:33 AM
Natas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by audioscape
depends what you are looking for simple sub build covered in carpet 150.00 made from grp molded in to the rear quater, full painted same as the car grp from 200.00

from this http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/DSC00160.jpg

to this http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...rsubwoofer.jpg

depends what you require the build can take a day to do the rear and frame up the front then another day to resin and mat the enclosure giving it some structure if you want carpet simple quick da sand then glue/carpet for paint da sand easysand and then dry sand 2 pack filler primer flat back paint and laquer

gives you a choice of 2 x 10" or 1 x 12" in the rear quater you could fit a 15" with a squeeze. amp wise depends what you are looking for 4ch or 5 ch. mids tweeters front and rear or just keep the good stuff at the front.

depends on your budget as well.
Thanks for that

I was thinking of going for something like components in the front doors, with maybe 2 ways or something in the rear shelf (standard size) and a small sub, was thinking more alone the lines of an 8",tucked into the corner in the boot, then a amp to run it all.
Or would it be better to have components in the rear shelf also?
Old 09 April 2009, 09:54 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

depends on what you want to acheive but i would go for a 10 or a 12 in the rear you would not really get much out of the 8. i would replace the fronts and a sub then see what you want to do with the rear if you just want rear fill i would go for a good quality component but one that you can mount the tweeter in the middle. same as a coaxal. what type of budget are you thinking of.
Old 11 April 2009, 12:15 PM
Natas
Scooby Regular

depends on what you want to acheive but i would go for a 10 or a 12 in the rear you would not really get much out of the 8. i would replace the fronts and a sub then see what you want to do with the rear if you just want rear fill i would go for a good quality component but one that you can mount the tweeter in the middle. same as a coaxal. what type of budget are you thinking of.
Maybe a 10 would be best as I am assuming that it will take up much less space?
In the rear at the moment I have fitted a pair of old Calibre I have had in many cars, great sound from them for what they are, I did try a pair of Infinity's but they were a little bit tinny.

I dont really have a budget as with everything else I am doing with my car I am doing a little at a time.
Old 12 April 2009, 04:27 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

basically a 10" sub can start off at 0.66 cubic feet a 12" is 0.88 so not a lot in it really. only starts going up when you want to go ported or bandpass.
you can get the same sound as a ported box using passive rads in a sealed enclosure without having to enlarge the enclosure size.

general rule of thumb sealed box musical ported/bandpass not musical but you can have fun porting the enclosure to the resenate freq of the car but then only one tone street bass.

just remember to spend the money on the power cables and rcas do not skimp. better to use a way over sized power cable than an just big enough i have seen power cables melt they are fun if you can put the fire out!

Trending Topics

Old 20 April 2009, 11:38 PM
Natas
Scooby Regular

basically a 10" sub can start off at 0.66 cubic feet a 12" is 0.88 so not a lot in it really. only starts going up when you want to go ported or bandpass.
you can get the same sound as a ported box using passive rads in a sealed enclosure without having to enlarge the enclosure size.

general rule of thumb sealed box musical ported/bandpass not musical but you can have fun porting the enclosure to the resenate freq of the car but then only one tone street bass.

just remember to spend the money on the power cables and rcas do not skimp. better to use a way over sized power cable than an just big enough i have seen power cables melt they are fun if you can put the fire out!
Blimey that all sounds a bit complicated

Cant I just decide what size sub and get a box made to fit snuggly in a little corner of my boot space still need room for my golf clubs
Old 21 April 2009, 08:19 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

i could fit a 15" sub in with your clubs no problems choose what you want i would go for a 12" then have a custom enclosure mounted in the side