Question for Audioscape...

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2009, 08:23 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Audioscape...

Hi mate.
As resident ICE expert ,i noticed that you dont mind offering advice on specific personalised set-ups,so i thought id ask you for some advice for mine.Am using forum and not pm as it might help others...
Ive got a JVC KW-AVX810 and im looking for a set of front speakers only,that would compliment this.I dont want a sub and this is for my 02 bugeye wagon.
Im pricing up a ks -u 58 to run my samsung mp3 and a ks bta200 to run a bluetooth phone-so far JVC direct offer the best prices.Any other places to look???
Anyway,speaker wise,i want a nice big all-round sound-plenty of range with a nice bit of bass for a budget of between £2-300 squid or cheaper!.
I know you recommend having the doors sound proofed and ive got a box of 4sq foot of Dynamat that ive had in the garage for years-will this be enough/does it go 'off' after a while???
As i know the square root of f**k all about ice,i need steering in the right direction.I have looked at Talk Audio,but it usually ends up in a scrap with different opinions about whos right...Ideally,i would like to buy the bits and give them to my alarm/ice installer who ive used for years(for my alarm!).
hope these questions aren't too bone and i hope you can help
Old 01 April 2009, 09:24 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will try to break this down as there are a few questions

speaker wise there are a few options i would need to know what u listen to do you like the sound more rounded or flat. as you said you want good base responce from a pair of 6" speakers you need a long throw speaker with a good frequency range. i would look at vibes space series (space6) retail 199. and a fli amp 99. you would get these for way below that at the moment including the wiring or if you can wait have a look at the light weight series for this budget unless you can find some of boston acoustics pro series as they have just gone though a range change and last years model but these will be arround the 299 mark
you have not said if you are going to amp the speakers or have plans to. i have given one option above which includes an amp the amp i thought of will be a 4channel so if you want you can upgrade and add a sib in the future if not just run it in bridge mode.you will need mdf spacers min of 12mm depending on which speakers you use with 18mm you must rebate the speaker in as it will be a long throw which would give you a spacer of 16mm. I can get kit for trade money or less depends on what you are after

second option have you thought about using a shallow sub say rockford fosgate and install this in the passenger footwell this can be done over a couple of hours with a fiberglass build. i can do this if you were intrested for about 100.00 for the enclosure. not all subwoofers need to be mounted in the rear. sounds better in the front any way. a few years ago managed to fit a kicker solobaric c series in to a glove box of a vauxhall was gr8

i can make a few phone calls tomorrow for your jvc kit then i will pm a dealers phone number to you and you can see if there price will be cheaper than what you have been quoted. jvc does have a unique sound i like their kit. I competed with one of there head units for 2 years.

Dynamat this can go off depends on how it was stored as long as this can be unrolled and is still sticky no problem just super heat it when you apply this. the best option is to sound deaden the outer skin and then on the inner skin just behind the door card making a semi sealed enclosure. i say semi sealed becuse of the window. so you would need another 3 packs look on talk audio and use the material that is on there awsome we use it on the spl cars but can not remember who we got it from will go through old pm later.

hope this helps
Old 01 April 2009, 09:35 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

forgot to say casscade audio do speaker deflection pads well worth getting if you can find them in the uk most cars in the usa use them helps disepate (got no idea if i spelt that right!)the bass.
Old 02 April 2009, 11:23 AM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Does help-a lot,so thanks for such a comprehensive reply.
Firstly,i listen to a variety of music-some indi/rock,dance/chill out so i want some speakers that do all things basically-probably a more rounded sound,i think!
Dont really want to add a sub into the equation,but like you suggested,it will be something for the future,after i get my head around the basics and get the hu and speakers installed.
Would be grateful if you check on prices for the JVC add-ons-ive been offered the two for £110 delivered...
Also,the roll of dynamat looks fine,but as i'll be needing some more,if youre able, can you sort out the details of the contact through talkaudio for me.
When you have some ideas on the speakers,ill order the spacer kit from you,if that ok.
Out of curiosity,how long would this lot take to install-hu+add-ons,speakers and matting?
Thanks for your help
Old 02 April 2009, 12:51 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

speakers should be done quickly say half hour per side if using std wiring. dynamat can take a couple of hours to do this correctly, make sure the inside of the door has been de-greased first most people forget and they find after a few months the dynamat will come off. head unit say 30/40 min that's being generous. i am waiting for a reply about the jvc parts and will foward the contact details later on still going through old pm's
Old 02 April 2009, 01:18 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Cheers