ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

what are the best 16.5 cm/ 6.5 inch components...suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2009, 05:54 PM
tomdscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the best 16.5 cm/ 6.5 inch components...suggestions please

as title, i have infinity kappa coaxials in at the minute, due to me purchasing them to fit a previous car where the doors were quite shallow, so needed shallow fit speakers.
when i did the front doors of my 2003 sti, i decided on getting some kappa perfect tweeters, wired them up, and disconnected the tweeter built in to the coaxial. im reasonably happy with it, but i want more mid range bass from my fronts,and also ive ended up with a bit of a mismatched front door set up.

they will be amplified by my current jbl amp(not the best maybe ),my doors are highly sound deadened,all rattles have been sorted one way or another, and using a good quality alpine head unit with time delay etc, and i have a boston G5 ten inch sub which uses an infinity amp.

i would like 16.5cm/6.5 inch again,and proper components this time.

hopefully this wil be the last bit of my set up(barring changing amps)

any help would be greatly appreciated

im not sure on price, i dont know how good i wil get for say around the £100 but i want decent makes,like boston or focal(not payin £300 quid though lol)

cheers in advance

Tom
Old 14 February 2009, 08:06 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Hi Tom

I would suggest Genesis Profile 16's, if you run a little higher on your budget that is (around £150-180), you will need speaker adapter rings to stop the magnet hitting the window mech though. These speaker are very smooth sounding without a hint of harshness.

I'm running CDT 6.5cl components at the mo and was previously running the Gennys but had problems as my amp was too powerful for the gennys, the CDTs are lovely sounding speakers but do require even more modding to make them fit. Other recommendations would be Hertz, DLS and Rainbow.

Have a look on car audio direct's web site, theres plenty to choose from but just watch the depth of the mid driver or modding will be needed.

Last edited by BigRed; 14 February 2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 14 February 2009, 11:09 AM
tomdscooby
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, ive decided to sell a few bits and so hopefully i'll be lookin at 200 to spend all bein well.ive heard genesis speakers are good, gonna whip mine out in a min and check for depth and window issues lol
Old 14 February 2009, 01:51 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

It does depend on how much you want to spend. Focal, DLS and Diamond spring to mind, however one my Focal 16.5 components speakers has packed in due to one of the coils in the crossover unit coming unglued and snapping the connections .
Old 14 February 2009, 02:22 PM
tomdscooby
Scooby Regular

ive been and looked and my window comes right down where the magnet on a "non shallow/slim speaker" would be, does this mean i'll need to cut a hole in the door card grille and use the ones that come with the speaker,along with a spacer?? i already have a corsa adapter thing which tilts it slightly, but it looks like it would stop the window goin down. or do you think i could i live with the window not goin all the way lol

Last edited by tomdscooby; 14 February 2009 at 02:37 PM.