ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

AMp + SUB for Under £300

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2002, 10:51 AM
Subaru_Impreza_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I want to install an Amp and Sub in my Scooby but I dont know what system I should get? Wether to go for an all-in-one VIBE box or get a separate Sub/Amp/Box say Alpine/Rockford/Sony?. What I want is deep low as you can go bass that wont distort and will sound ok! Not too much to ask for. Im getting opinions from all over the place, none from Scooby owners! So I though I'd ask you lot what you think the best set-up I could buy for £250 - £300 is? Answers on a post(card) please

Some Idea's I have in mind:

10" Alpine Sub 500wrms + Alpine Amp to match
12" Rockford HX2 + Rockford Punch Amp to match
10" ACA100 from VIBE (all-in-one)
12" Sony sub 380wrms + Sony Amp to match

Anybody know how well JL subs sound?

Thanks

James

[Edited by Subaru_Impreza_UK - 2/21/2002 11:27:31 AM]
Old 21 February 2002, 11:32 AM
globbits
Scooby Regular

To get deep 'n low bass, you need a big driver - a 12" sub would be the minimum. Basically, the smaller the cone, the quicker it can vibrate, so the higher the frequency. If you want drum 'n bass, or rap type music, you want a big sub. If you want musical (dance/house, "pop" type) bass, then you should go for a smaller one - probably a 10".

In terms of brands, you do get what you pay for. Bass tubes do work, but a proper MDF box will work much better, and will justify the extra money. But then, if you want deep bass, you're won't want a bass tube anyway.

Not had much experience of the VIBE units, but they do do an awful lot of different ones. Their website has bucketloads of info over what you should buy for what you want.

Aim for a 12" or 15" single (probably ported) sub, with a dedicated amp. (Because of your budget. If you had more money, I'd suggest you bought a separate amp) Make sure the cabinet is made from MDF. Don't bother with the unknown brands - stick to the likes of Kenwood, VIBE, (doubt an Alpine/Rockford will fit into your price range) and make sure you listen to it, in your car, before you part with your cash.

Oh, one final thing Bear in mind that subs have to be run in. Run the sub at sensible volume levels for the first 3-5 hours of use. You'll find the bass will deepen, and the range will increase a little during this time.

Happy subbing
Old 21 February 2002, 12:07 PM
Subaru_Impreza_UK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Globbits - Some 'Sound' adivce there (get it )

The Alpine I noted beacuse it was in ym range I found a 'deal' Where I could get all the equipment + box for £259

The Rockfords, that would be a little over my budget @ £400

VIBE do a nice 10" 400wrms Active box for £279

And Sony are the cheapest but with a good spec @ £200

All I've heard is Sony arent that good, Rockforad are the best and Alpine and VIBE are good. Im not going to make my own box unless there is a big advantage to be had? I thought an off-the-shelf box will do! Should I use any sound-proofing in my car? Like a sound-proof mat? I dont really want to spray foam everywhere

Ideally I would like a 12". I've never consdiered a bass tube! What makes/models are value for money? The only Box I would get from VIBE is the active stuff (built in amp).

Apparently thier boxes sound v.good. One magazine gave them a 100% rating on one of thier boxes.

How could I listen to it in my car without a purchase? Im buying new, more than likely off the net

Cheers

James

Old 22 February 2002, 02:09 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nice answer Glob.

As a slightly cheaper alternative, Vibe stuff is ok but the built in amps arn't very powerful. i would stick to a seperate amp and sub-box. I was pleasently surprised when i first heard the red coned Sony Xplod subs.
Since there are so many amp, sub and box combinations to choose from i would visit a few dealers and ask to listen to as many as possible in a car or cars.
I went for 2 x Infinity Reference 1020w's. They are fitted in a small sealed box of 1.2 cuft (1 chamber) from Auto Acoustics and powered by an Alpine MRV-T707. Total cost of £352.00.
I'm also using a Sony XEC-500 (now XEC-505) which boosts the sub out by approx 3dB.
I'm very pleased with the sound which is more punchy than low but thats how i like it.

I need to take a long look at the back of my eyelids.

[Edited by audio g man - 2/22/2002 2:14:15 AM]