Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Can rear speakers help soundstage??

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2002, 02:32 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a purists point of view!! can rears help??
Old 19 February 2002, 02:52 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup. I always thought that it could work OK, & then was advised that it could work very well by one of these multi-award-winning type install people.

the idea (excuse?) behind it is that the car offers such a strange/bad environment in which to play music that compromises need to be made. Yes, when listening to music normally (concert, living room) there are only speakers at the front, but there are also a lot of reflections from the back wall. The car doesn't have that - because of the paraphenalia (sp????) scattered about the place, the sound gets lost so there is a blank spot behind where there's usually reflections of sound. So, add speakers at the back at a very low level to simulate the reflections.

Also keeps passengers in the back happy, of course, although I have been moaned at 'cos the level at the front was (to me) right but the passengers in the back couldn't hear the music properly - it was a sociable car at the time, so music wasn't blasting out! In other words, there's very little needed at the back, but it helps!