ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

New car - new kit...

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 1999, 12:35 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

You wont get a great deal for £500- £700, have you considered second hand kit from the back of one of the boy mags?

If you are considering 6x9's get this months Max Power they have done a fairly extensive review of the available 6x9 speakers.

Mike.
Old 07 September 1999, 11:56 AM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi guys

Come on, this is a quiet thread - give me some info! I'm getting a MY2000 4-door Scoob in October, and want to know what speaker systems sound good in my lovely new car. I already have a Sony CD head unit which will go in the day I pick the car up, but my 500-quids worth of other speakers won't fit (I don't think).

So... what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking of spending up to about 500-700 quid again. I want plenty of volume and bass etc but sound quality is the most important thing.

Thanks in advance...

Richard
Old 07 September 1999, 10:04 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I've got JBL 6x9's in the rear and JBL components in the front.
Good enough for me, and cost about £300.

Stef.
Old 08 September 1999, 12:34 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup, Craig's suggestion sounds feasible. Make sure that you only use high quality cabling & connectors throughout and they are not cheap.

Spend twice as much money on the front speakers as the rear, run the rears in Mono.

Get a cheap amp and run it bridged to a sub box/bass tube and you are looking good.

(Presuming that the amp you already have is good enough to control the speakers accurately enough).

Which Sony head unit have you got?

Mike.
Old 08 September 1999, 09:03 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

The (limited edition) JBL 6x9's I have won MaxPowers bestever. They do retail for £250 though !

They'll take upto 150W RMS..I'm driving them with about 60RMS and they are ace.
Old 08 September 1999, 10:14 AM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. I would have thought (Mike!) that for 500-700 quid I could get something reasonably good, as I already have the head unit. Forgot to mention I already have one 300W stereo amp, so I think I need speakers front+rear, and another amp? What do people reckon is the best price split for amp/speakers?

Thanks
Richard
Old 08 September 1999, 10:35 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Richard,
For pure quality go for Mission or MB Quart front and rear. That's £500 gone.
Then try and get a good deal on an amp.

Craig
Old 08 September 1999, 12:45 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just read my post back and it looked like I was being an audiophile snob.

I was.

(Not really).

I have had JBL speakers before also, and they make some decent kit.

In the previously mentioned 'Speaker Mega Test', the winner was the MB Quart DKC 169, at £80.00 that has to be a bargain, spend some money on a quality 4 channel amp and the rest on Dynamat OFC wire (with soldered joints) & the best quality RCA leads you can afford.

If you are lucky you may have some money left for a cheap sub bass tube, (you may not).

You wrote >I want plenty of volume and bass etc but sound quality is the most important thing.

If you translate that it means you want everything (don't we all).

Shop around, I spent 20 minutes playing stereo shops off against each other and the head unit I was after with an original retail quote of £500.00 was reduced to £375.00.

Good hunting.

Mike.
Old 08 September 1999, 02:09 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Smile

Using original head unit in MY96 WRX I have Kenwood Components up front with a ProSound 75W RMS Amp in front footwell. I've located the tweeters in line with the wing mirrors...little plastic triangle on door just clips off after removing door panel. Great front sound stage.

In the back I have Kenwood 6.5" Dualmags which are ultra light (the Space Shuttle use them although I had to make custom brakets from steel) and again ProSound 125W RMS AMP in the boot. I also use a Sub filter to cut out all high frequiencies from the rear so only get the bass (so it does not spoil front sound stage). Sounds good.

Speakers were £200 and Amps were £150

Gethin.
Old 08 September 1999, 04:42 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. My current system is Pioneer co-ax at the front, with separate speakers in line with the wing mirrors, all running off Sony 4160 head unit (35Wx4 claimed). Rear has Pioneer co-ax's again, paired with a dedicated bass shelf + 300W amplifier. The bass shelf was from Aylestone audio in Cambridge - anyone else used these guys? They've been excellent on helping out with my current system. It's all on a Rover 214SEi btw and sounds great, but obviously the Scoob should have some better matched stuff.

Anyone recommend good dealers + fitters in the Cambridge area?

R