Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Removing the rear Parcel Shelf to install new speakers in my MY98 4dr.

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 1999, 01:35 PM
cskip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone give me some pointers as to how to remove the parcel shelf so that I can remove the standard speakers?

Also any recommendations for replacement speakers front and back. I want to keep the Tweeter/Mid-Bass split in the front and I do not want to modify the fitting at all.
Old 16 January 1999, 03:40 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

This question has come up a number of times. I never seem to save the info. Now I need it as well. This sort of info should be on the FAQ.

Could someone post it to the FAQ. Things like

1. How to replace front and rear speakers inc Trim and Panel removal.

2. Speaker sizes - I have heard that people have fitted 6 x 9 and someone I seem to remember made a Template (If so could we have a drawing on the site ?.)

3. Wiring Scheme

There must be some bored ICE expert out there wanting to provide a valuble service to those of us who havent saved previous posting.

Jonathan
Old 16 January 1999, 09:33 PM
JohnS

I have a copy of the rear parcel shelf removal instructions at work, which I will incorporate into the FAQ when I next modify it, but chances are that Adam, Pete or Steve will do it before it's my turn again.

I'll also include the wiring info for those who are fitting non-ISO connector equipment into their cars.

I don't know how to remove the front/rear door panels, but I believe it isn't that difficult. I'll try to find out.

Front speakers will take 16 cm speakers, but check the depth, as some are deeper than others. As standard, the UK spec cars do not come with separate tweeters, just an grille with nothing behind it next to the door handle. Infinity Kappa component speakers at 199 quid seemed to come highly recommended.

16cm speakers fit in the rear as well, but you can fit 6 x 9s with a little trimming if you don't mind a diagonal fit, or a bit more cutting if you want them parallel with the rear window (conventional look).

I believe current wisdom in the Car Hi-Fi scene is to concentrate on the front stage, as what come from the rear is generally "fill-in" sound, but I suppose it's all down to personal taste and budget.
Old 16 January 1999, 09:36 PM
stu k
Scooby Newbie

try this site for info www.netspace.net.au/~glennw/wrxindex.htm they have wiring and front door help, ok. stu
Old 17 January 1999, 12:50 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

To get at the rear speakers,

1. Remove back seat, both pieces: 5 bolts
2. Very carefully, remove side panels: in back seat
3. Again very carefully, pop loose rear glass plastic window trim, pull out gently, as they just have a plastic pop insert to hold in place. both sides NOT ALL THE WAY just enough to bend back
4. Now, go into the boot and pop loose little black plastic clips coming from the back glass shelf, there should be (4) 2 ea side
5. Shelf assembly should be loose now.
6. Go back in rear deck area, and carefully bend laminated shelf with speaker covers up in the middle while removing slowly.
7. Install new speakers and reverse order.

Not too difficult, takes about an hour or so.

And the front speakers:
1. Prise up the electric window switch at the front of the pad. Screw in there, disconnect the switches by pushing a lug on the back of the switches.
2. Prise off the triangular piece of plastic by the mirror.
3. Screw behind blanking plate below arm rest.
4. Pop off the door handle surround. Don't need to screw the door handle.
5. Pull off popper at door hinge end of the door.
6. Pull whole trim outwards *gently*. Should be completely loose. Push upwards gently.

As they say in Haynes manuals, refitting reverse of above.

Was going to write an Impreza ICE FAQ over Christmas/New Year, but I was distracted....

BTW, you are on your own if you break or damage your car with these instructions and other legal stuff.

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 17-01-99).]
Old 17 January 1999, 04:33 PM
cskip
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. My stereo should be kicking in no time!
Old 17 January 1999, 05:18 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Re: comments about fitting 6x9 speakers to the rear parcel shelf...

My hifi dealer (Mobile Fidelity, 0141 420 1594) fitted a set of Infinity 6x9s to the rear of my MY98 4dr with NO CUTTING. Instead he made up a set of fibreglass collars which fit between the speakers and the shelf.

There are no visible differences from outside the car (always a plus :> ) and the result inside the boot is very neat.

I imagine this is a technique which could be used for any size of speakers at the back?

I'm hoping to be at the Scottish meet on 24/1/99 - I'll make sure the boot is tidy if anyone wants a look!

Cameron

(PS: It's a Terzo, so the rear seat doesn't fold down. I assume this doesn't imply a different style of parcel shelf?)

[This message has been edited by leaskc (edited 17-01-99).]
Old 17 January 1999, 05:45 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Cameron,
The procedure should still be the same on the Terzo - I haven't had a close look at the back of a Terzo, but I can't see any reason why the removing the seats would be different. From memory (I changed my 4dr Sport for a 5dr Turbo six months ago), it's more of a hassle removing the seat back with the backs down anyway.
Old 18 January 1999, 02:16 PM
boltona
Scooby Regular

Fitted my own rear 6*9 speakers in my Terzo. The procedure is similar, but there is a metal plate behind the seats which is welded in. You still need to remove the rear seats in order to remove the door trim in order to extract the top part of the shelf. I'm not a DIY no-hoper, but I'm not a pro either, and I found it quite difficult and a fairly long job, especially cutting holes. Cutting holes was quite awkward, as was correctly fitting securing screws.
Consequently, I'm getting them redone by pros this week. The place that fitted my front Kappa 6" components (inc tweeter) are removing the shelf completely, fitting a twin layer of mdf with the speakers mounted on the bottom, then recovering in acoustic carpet. This has the twin advantages of better speaker support (and less bass absorbtion) and speakers being totally invisible (not even any grills). Which is nice for 170 quid speakers. The quality at the moment is infinitely better than the standard speakers; I would recommend the Infinities if you don't mind spending a bit. Tottenham Ct Road in London has the best bargains. Front component set was 150 quid. Rears would have been 170, but I got them in New York for 150, plus the 2 grand first class air fare which my company kindly paid for :-).
If you use replacement 6" speakers, it would be a lot easier to do yourself. I would suggest that 6*9s should be fitted by pros.