ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

P1 details please

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2001, 01:39 PM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys, I'm new to this and hope you can help me. It sure would be appreciated.
I got me a P1 with no audio! But, I have bits:
Clarion pre-amp head unit with DSP hide away unit and changer. To power it I have a soundtream amp.
What I need are front speakers, Dynaudio or Diamond audio preferably but I hear they can be difficult to fit. I can get all their specs but not the specs of the P1 door i.e. what depth etc will fit as precisely as possible. You can see I don't really want to **** around for hours if somebody else has already tried it.
It would also be great if somebody knew what size crossover will fit in the door to save running two lengths of cable from the back of the car (wxdxh).
The last problem is I intend to fit a 10 inch square Kicker sub later on but don't want a box floating in the back. What i'm after is a moulded fibre glass enclosure to fit inside the rear wing. Does somebody have one, is it good, does anybody even make them and if so who? Is it the same shape as for a WRX?

I know there are loads of q's here but I feel others have asked the same sort of thing but not as precise as I would like. Any assistance and I would be really grateful.

Cheers lads
The short one
Old 13 July 2001, 02:25 PM
Matt R
Scooby Regular

I fitted Infinity Perfect 6.1 components in my my99, They fit with a 3/4" MDF spacer made up. Tweeters fit under door panel and crossovers also under panel.
As for sub boxes,Auto accoustics make a box to fit in the Impreza perfectly (CNC machined) but they wanted £180 for them when I enquired early this year, their number is 01932 849211.
The Infinity perfects are for sale,if you're interested mail me offlist.

[This message has been edited by Matt R (edited 13 July 2001).]
Old 13 July 2001, 08:28 PM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt the auto accoustics number will help. I got to be honest though and say that I need details for fitting speakers with large magnets (I don't know much about the infinity's). I also don't intend on fitting tweeters within the door grills because I want a decent sound stage, i.e. have the tweeters close to the woofers. I am considering a floor build to accomodate both as I don't see an appealing way of mounting them in/on the doors.
Thanks for the offer though for your speakers
stumpy
Old 13 July 2001, 10:22 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody any experience of the shaped sub enclosures?

I am Mr No-Bootspace

Martin
Old 13 July 2001, 10:27 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Littleman

Forgot to ask, which ss amp do you have?

I am running a 702 which was the bargain of the century through eBay

Martin
Old 14 July 2001, 12:28 AM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

I will be running a 244 ss for the fronts. Not a great deal of gusto but should be sweet enough, I hope to run about 700 watts to the sub when I get organised.
I don't really have much time to strip and dwell on the install because I don't want to get halfway and have to do something else. The job never gets done properly then does it.
Old 14 July 2001, 06:58 PM
Matt R
Scooby Regular

Have alook at the Infinty website on
Old 16 July 2001, 08:27 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I made a small enclosure for a clio that fitted where you want to fit it. To do it, I bought a new panel (10 quid from a scrappy - I guess it may be a bit more expensive for a 2 door Impreza ) then hacked that around.

I used MDF as a "base", with lashings of GRP (fibreglass) to actually make the box. Took quite some time but in the end worked well.

There is a company in the states that makes these specifically for the 2.5RS, which is a 2 door coupe impreza, though they're made purely from MDF and at a guess would be hellishly expensive to ship due to weight.

I'll dig out the thread and see if I can find any information. Watch this space!

Nick.
Old 16 July 2001, 06:33 PM
tntsystems
Scooby Regular

I as the owner of a 97my with 276 bhp (ish) and a small amount of quality ice. I would suggest that your first port of call be my usual suppliers for anything ICE wise, and very often the cheapest for ice installs, moons of gloucester. if it's any help, the front pods in doors on your model will take 6" cones and i would suggest Cailber's excellent and very clean sounding CSC-6's with passive offboard crossover, as the tweeters will fit perfectly in you hidden dash pods and sound wicked in japanese cars. consider a Rockford Fosgate sub ( i have a comp series 15" and 2 12"'s for sale if ure interested...) hope this helps anyway
Old 16 July 2001, 09:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi Tnt!

Welcome to the board - looks like you may have a lot to add on the ICE section which is great.

Bit intrigued by the "sound great in Japanese cars" bit - any ideas why they would work so well? Something to do with the door size? Are they a straight drop in, screwholes and all? Any ideas how they sound compared with others? I like the Caliber stuff in general as it's normally excellent value for money for very good kit, so if it does drop straight in then that would be another one for the list

Incidentally, your website's "domain cloaking" isn't working and is being redirected to a Geocities site - want a hosting package?
Old 16 July 2001, 09:24 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Knew I'd find it - Subee Sound do a box for the P1...
Old 17 July 2001, 03:12 AM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link although I think you maybe right about getting the fibre glass out. I wanted a 10 inch square kicker in the boot in a custom enclosure so I had some boot space without an ugly looking box. I intend on removing the rear speakers so that the tune can be heard from the sub not just felt! The 10 inch square really does go as it produces bass as a standard 12 inch as well as requiring only a tiny enclosure.
I might try the new Genesis 6.5's in the front, meant to be quite good. That's if I can get my **** into gear!!!!
Old 17 July 2001, 08:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

LM, sounds like a good idea. Where in the country are you?

From the looks of the pictures on the SubieSound site, it appears that you could make a rough mdf front and back, then glass up the sides.

Have you worked with fibreglass and GRP before? If not, be warned that it sticks to anything, so use spray adhesive to cover any bits of metal with tin foil, and put loads of covering down by the back seat, or just take the seat out.

Also, it's loads cheaper to get the stuff from a local fibreglass supplier than Halfords etc - check your yellow pages.

Finally, the stuff stinks so leave it to cure outside of the car . Or just stick your head in the curing box for a cheap kick.

(kids! don't try this at home - it's humour)
Old 17 July 2001, 04:34 PM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Chiark, yeah, I've played with fibreglass before although a mate of mine made an enclosure for the back of his Saab. Looks great and no absolutly no room taken up by the box. It's also bullet proof by the look of it. I hear a bin liner and masking tape on the inside of the car is pretty good for starting the basic shape, gonna have to give it a go sometime. Might have to get the lava lamp out first though!!!!

Ben

p.s. Oh yeh! I'm down in Sussex by the way.
Old 17 July 2001, 04:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'll not nip by and give you a hand then as it's a fair way from Yorkshire. Shame, grooving to the interesting light patterns and blobs whilst waiting for the GRP to harden could be interesting.

I wonder if it's worth making a mould for these in case anyone else wants one? Who knows, it may be a nice little earner????