Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Choosing a head unit

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2001, 02:20 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested in peoples comments on what to buy when getting a new head unit.

There seems a massive range with a similiar large price gap, so how do choose a decent one within your budget?

Discussing with others it appears that ergonomics are possibly the most important thing.

But then should you get a certain power?

Most I assume have RDS, etc etc.

cheers

greg
Old 16 July 2001, 02:27 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

choose a source, tv, cd, md, dvd, mpeg etc.

choose a price range, and never pay retail price.

I dont buy audio unless I get a discount in the region of 30 to 40%. This allows me to choose from the price range above my budget.

Styling seems to be the main sales point.

Power is irrelevant if you are going to add amps etc.

Thet are all around 4x40/50 watts these days, but never believe these bullsh1t claims. none of them willprovide great sounds quality at volume.

Avoid sony, cos it is generally rubbish.

Pioner sounds better than most imho.

If you dont have contacts for getting discounts, then try edworthys.co.uk they tend to be cheap.
Old 16 July 2001, 02:44 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Talking

Picking a head unit is always tricky. Like Adam says Sony sound quality is poor, they seem to bypass performance in exchange for gadgets and gimmicks. You can rarely go wrong with Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood. Panasonic ranges have recently been engineered in association with Technics the last few years and the sound quality has been crystal clear. If someone can confirm that their current range is likewise I'd add them to your list too!
Old 16 July 2001, 02:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Well, you know my thoughts: sound quality is generally good nowadays, with very few dogs getting through.

I chose on ergonomics, plus the fact that when I bought my CD changer it was about the best on the market... That's tied me into kenwood

Do choose the medium, too. Do you want in-dash CD, or in-dash MD with an add-on changer, or MP3, or... ?
Old 16 July 2001, 02:53 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nakamichi MB100 Retail £999

This is what I have... dogs danglys... looks sh1te though... and I think I wasted my money as my ears probably cant tell the difference beetween alpine... and nak...

Going to add kenwood mp3 player as well... (hence thread on dual din..)

However I think someone has brought out single cd head unit retailling at £4000...
probably becker or McIntosh.. Spelt wrong....

May buy one next!

David
Old 16 July 2001, 03:32 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Ok then guys thanks for all the info so far. Now what the heck is the difference in price for then. Same site as below has a Kenwood KDC-PS9590R for £359, is that going to sound so much better than the one below?

My brother wants a single CD/radio to replace the standard unit in his MGF.

Assuming Kenwood are ok, this one he has found matches the silver finish in his dash etc:

Kenwood KDC-49RS
CD Player with RDS Radio, 45W x 4 High Power Output, CD Changer Controls, Detachable Front Panel, CD-R/CD-RW Compatible, Preout for connection of an External Amplifier, New System Q Sound Adjustment, Remote Control Option, Switchable Red & Green Button Illumination

https://secure.caraudiodirect.com/shop/acatalog/C_A_D_Catalogue_Hot_Deals_104.html
Old 16 July 2001, 06:36 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All good options posted so far.The diff in price is usually based on the options the HU offers.Example;say you want a Pioneer deck.You can get a very low cost deck with the same sound quality as the more expensive deck,but you'll give up any hopes of adding rear and subwoofer channels to amps.There will be no RCA pre-outs for them.You'll not get a remote control either.
So you see,the more usable options the deck has that you want(or will need in the future)the more it will cost.
Also,as mentioned above,the internal amp in the HU's is questionable.Pioneer was the first(go figure )to incorporate the MOSFET technology into a head unit,the 45x4.Panasonic followed with the 47x4.Now Pioneer has the 50x4 and Panasonic also countered.It's a war out there!
These HU's are actually very capable of serious sound.The numbers just shown are max wattage numbers,so the rms is around half of that number.But considering most factory HU's only put out around 8-10 watts of power to a wimpy speaker,just think of what 25 watts could sound like with the right speaker added.
That power level may or maynot be what you seek,but when set up correctly,works for the masses.