ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Classic Components

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 08:25 AM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Components

I have fitted new components up front in my classic. However when the volume gets turned up they seem to cut out and come back on. Does anyone have any ideas as I'm
Old 23 April 2008, 09:08 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

It may be that they are supposed to be run from an amp - either way they will sound much better if they are.

What components are they? How have you wired them up? You should run the existing larger driver connection wire to the crossover, then connect your new main driver and tweeter to this.
Old 23 April 2008, 11:27 AM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

They are not running from an amp. The are In-Focus 6.5" components.

I have wired them up using the existing speaker wire to the crossover input, then the supplied cable to run the mids to the mid output on the crossover and tweeters to the tweeter output on the crossover.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:06 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

They seem to be wored up OK then.

I can't seem to find anything out about those speakers - have you got a link for them?

It does sound possible that the head unit you are running them from is struggling - is it the standard Subaru one?
Old 23 April 2008, 01:15 PM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by escott
They seem to be wored up OK then.

I can't seem to find anything out about those speakers - have you got a link for them?

It does sound possible that the head unit you are running them from is struggling - is it the standard Subaru one?
No it's a top of the range Clarion Head Unit.

The link for the components is In Phase XT 6C 16.5cm 240W car speakers component kit on eBay, also Component Speakers Sets, Speakers, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 26-Apr-08 23:30:10 BST)

Thanks for your help so far mate
Old 23 April 2008, 04:48 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

bad earth?
Old 23 April 2008, 05:28 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Could be.

I still think though that it may be they are not getting enough power from the headunit - even the best will be rated at 4x50w or 4x60w, but this is a peak output figure and can be ignored. Even a good headunit like the Clarion will actually be outputting around 4x15w RMS, and your speakers are rated at 60w RMS.

Amplifiers (including the one in your headunit) will 'clip' at a certain level, causing problems for your speakers. This may be the problem. A reasonable 2 channel amp will be able to put out RMS of maybe 50w and up and would be a much better match for your speakers than the headunit amp. Have a look on here:

Car Audio Direct for car stereo, navigation and audiovisual electronics.

I would reckon that the Alpine featured (MRP-T222) might be a good starting point. It is a 2x50w RMS output which should be fine.

You should see a big difference when adding an amp - I know it may seem a pain, but with a headunit and speaker setup of that quality you should really be looking to add one.

By the way, when you say you are turning the volume up, how far do you mean?
Old 23 April 2008, 07:04 PM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Right I have investigated further and when I switch the fade to the right side only and turn the volume up fully it doesn't cut out. When I switch it to the left side I have no sound.

Could this be a bad earth?
Old 23 April 2008, 08:02 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I'm not sure.

If it's easy for you to swap the speakers over, then try it - this will tell you if it is a problem with the speaker itself or the headunit/wiring.

It won't do any harm checking the wiring again anyway - it's pretty easy to make a mistake when wiring new speakers in.

Then, I'm running out of ideas I'm afraid! Hope you get it sorted.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:01 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

It sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me. May be an idea as Escott said to check the wiring.

Sounds silly but you dont have both speakers wired up to the same channnel do you?

Failing that check the polarity of the connectors on the speakers.

Otherwise (and worse case scenario) one of the channels in your headunit has gone.
Old 24 April 2008, 09:57 AM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby51
It sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me. May be an idea as Escott said to check the wiring.

Sounds silly but you dont have both speakers wired up to the same channnel do you?

Failing that check the polarity of the connectors on the speakers.

Otherwise (and worse case scenario) one of the channels in your headunit has gone.
I will check the wiring again just in case. I don't think I have them wired to the same channel as the wiring is just taken off the original subaru speakers.

What's polarity btw? Thanks
Old 24 April 2008, 10:18 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

the + and - on the speakers where the speaker wires connect.

These need to be correct or you risk screwing your speakers.

It should be fail safe as the spades connectors should be different sizes for the + and - but where the crossovers are wired in, check that the + and - follow the same route. So + cable connects to + terminal on the Xover and the right wires then go to the right speaker. This should be written on the Xover.
Old 24 April 2008, 11:31 AM
youngstar
Scooby Regular

make sure that the speaker wiring is not touching metal to bare wires anywhere?
this will cause a short and will stop the speaker from working and also heat up your headunit and blow a channel's output.
try swapping the crossovers and trying again, if the opposite speaker stops working ur crossover is faulty
cheers
chris
Old 24 April 2008, 12:37 PM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice, I have checked the wiring again and found the fault. When the window is down it was fouling the speaker and broke the soldered (-) wire which was touching the door

I don't suppose anyone knows which speaker mounts I can fit to house the 6.5" components? Thanks
Old 24 April 2008, 01:08 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav_UK
Thanks for all the advice, I have checked the wiring again and found the fault. When the window is down it was fouling the speaker and broke the soldered (-) wire which was touching the door

I don't suppose anyone knows which speaker mounts I can fit to house the 6.5" components? Thanks
Glad you got it sorted!

You can I think buy Corsa adapters, which fit, and there should also be Subaru ones, make sure they are for 6.5 not 5.25 inch speakers though.

You will probably be better off making your own MDF rings to mount them on - check the sticky thread in this forum for a guide. I managed to do it with a drill and a normal hacksaw, and I am rubbish at diy!
Old 24 April 2008, 01:35 PM
Gav_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by escott
Glad you got it sorted!

You can I think buy Corsa adapters, which fit, and there should also be Subaru ones, make sure they are for 6.5 not 5.25 inch speakers though.

You will probably be better off making your own MDF rings to mount them on - check the sticky thread in this forum for a guide. I managed to do it with a drill and a normal hacksaw, and I am rubbish at diy!
Thanks mate and to everyone else who contributed to this thread