ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Has ice diy knackered my doors?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 10:19 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Installed some door speakers this weekend. As usual, a few unanticipated problems took longer than I thought. Anyway all done and dusted now but the doors seem to need an extra firm slam to shut them. Also if I look closely the front doors seem to sit fractionally lower than the rear doors when closed. Could it be that they have sunk on the hinges after being left open for a whole day? normally I would put this down to an over active imagination but hey we are talking Subaru build quality here! Any thoughts, please?
Old 28 January 2002, 10:39 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Well, the slam could be extra weight? I have to shut mine very hard, but then there's some seriously hefty speakers in there as well as quite a bit of sound deadening - I'd say there's an extra 8kg in each side adding all the bits up - probably duobles the weight of the door! Anyway, I don't think they 'sag'. Haven't checked, though; definately need to slam them hard!
Old 28 January 2002, 02:35 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

The speakers are pretty light and I didn't quite use a full Brown Bread roll between the two doors so they shouldn't be that heavy. Perhaps they were like that to begin with then. The passenger electric window is very slow as well but I can't remember what that was like before.
Old 28 January 2002, 09:18 PM
driver
Scooby Newbie

Any added weight from the speakers would be at the front of the door vs. the rear so the moment would not be very great. I would think it unlikely that you would have caused the doors to sag from having them open all day.

However, since you had the panels off the doors as well as added damping material, you might have added thickness between the panel and the door which is hindering it from closing correctly. Alternatively, the panels did not get put back on correctly aligned. You may wish to doublecheck both.

driver
Old 29 January 2002, 03:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Boost
My passenger window is considerably slower than the drivers side, say 30% slower

as for weight
It is unlikely as the speakers are mounted close to the hinges. rather than far down the doors way from the hinges where the weight would have more effect.

It may be the case that you leant heavily on the doors whilst they where open/working on them???
Old 29 January 2002, 06:19 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I don't think there is anything wrong really, perhaps the inner pannels are just sitting slightly proud of their original position due to the new cables and sound deadening behind there. I'm not really having to use serious force or anything. Thanks for the replies. Things sure sound a bit better inside tunes-wise anyway. Kenwood PSR-70P components off the head unit for now Fitting was a slight **** at the time but would be easy if I had to do it again - but probably never will.
Old 29 January 2002, 06:24 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Hmm, thinking about wires - if you put new cabling iun between the body & the door, it might be worth checking (as you probably already have ) that the 'increased cable thickness' isn't stopping the door from closing properly or something.
You never know