ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

6X9's in rear shelf

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 11:07 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I wonder if anybody can help me. I am trying to fit some 6X9's in my rear shelf. Having removed the metal plates with the round hole cut in I was dissapointed to find that the hole that they left was not the same shape as my speakers. How have you guys fitted yours??
It's a 97Scoob.
Old 28 January 2002, 11:58 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Chaz, I had a bit of a mare fitting mine but eventually managed to fit 6X9 JBLs in there. What I did was roughly this as best as I can remember. Does not involve cutting steel(!):

1.take old ones out inc metal plate
2.find some MDF or similarly dense wood
3.cut the MDF into oval rings just large enough on the outer diameter to allow the speaker mounting screws to securely fit without splitting the wood, and large enough on the inside to take the speaker
3.1.drill through the MDF 4 times making the mounting holes
4.the depth of the MDF (my stuff was roughly .75 inch i THINK) raises the speakers such that they fit in the holes see
5.fit the speakers in the steel shelf (with long bolts should be supplied with speakers), then fit the parcel shelf on top, and make a best attempt at outlining where the inner diameter of the MDF is on the thin parcel shelf
6.cut out slightly bigger holes in the parcel shelf as per the rough outline, probably best to go smaller rather than bigger in case the hole is too big and it shows past the edge of the speaker cover
7.then sandwich the thin flimsy sheet between the MDF and the speaker covers see 8.
8.then bolt up through the speaker mounting holes in the MDF from in the boot (there are a few holes in the metal which you should be able to get to line up OK) and fit large washers so the bolt heads aren't just slipping through the holes
9.press on the metal netting type covers

takes some fiddling and too thick a block of MDF causes the parcel shelf to lift and show wood through the back screen so be careful which thickness to buy. Basically just thick enough to raise the 6X9s such that they fit in the holes.

I dunno, it's a bit fiddly but I did it this way in the end....tis up to you, not sure of any other way..........

good luck,
cheers
Alex
Old 29 January 2002, 09:30 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alex I'll give it a go