ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sound-proofing

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 1999, 01:30 PM
Profec
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would it be advisable for me to sound-proof
the front doors and boot on my '97 Sti, as I have been told that the doors on the Impreza are pretty thin and that sound-proofing would give me better sound. Thanks in advance.
Old 31 August 1999, 01:39 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would highly recommend it! If you are at all serious about car hifi, then you will notice the difference. There is no resonance in the doors now, and the bass notes seem to have tighten up as well.

Use something like Dynamat, there are others as well, I got some very cheap stuff from my local ICE dealer, which allowed me to have a double layer in both front doors, for the same price as doing a single layer of dynamat for one door.

For the petrolheads out there, it may add a few extra kilos to your car! Looks like I'll need the PE Phase 1 to bring my car back up to standard performance!!

Andy
Old 31 August 1999, 03:05 PM
Doug
Scooby Regular

My ICE dealer also said this would be needed. They recommended the metal of the doors should be sprayed with sound proofing foam together with Dynamat.

They also said it was so important that If cost is important then skimp on the speakers and have the sound proofing because that would sound better than a set of expensive speakers on their own.

Hope this helps

Doug
Old 31 August 1999, 03:11 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine was advised not to bother with Dynamat and to use a spray on version of it instead. Can't remember the name but apparently it's almost as good as Dynamat and doesn't require all the faffing about with rollering it on blah blah.
Old 31 August 1999, 03:14 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Dynamat and the spray do the same job, but remember to mask off all the locking mechanims and windows rails. When it drys you'll have a hell of a time shifting the stuff!!

Several companies make the spray on stuff including Dynamat and Rockford Fosgate.
Old 31 August 1999, 04:34 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Having used the spray myself I found it to be useless and no where near as effective as dynamat.
Admittedly I used it around five years ago when I did not have the experience I have now and it is possible that I did not apply it properly or that my judgement was not as well considered as it is now.

I have not yet collected my car but have already bought twelve rolls of dynamat. 2 for front doors 1 for each rear door. 1 for each footwell. 2 for the boot lid (paramount) 2 for the boot floor.

I would have to say it is the most cost effective way of improving sound quality.
Old 01 September 1999, 04:20 AM
Profec
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys, my ICE dealer has recommended the Wurth sound-proofing material, we don't have that much of a choice here in Malaysia. But I think I will get it fixed with what you've told me sounds like a good idea, pity about the weight though