Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting an amp under the passenger seat?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2001, 02:52 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone done this? Mine looks like it will fit, just worried about it not getting enough air.

Don't really want it on the back of the back seat as I occasionally load the boot up with MTBs or rubbish and am afraid it would get damaged.

cheers,

greg
Old 06 July 2001, 03:11 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Phoenix Gold is under the passenger seat. Gets warm obviously but I've never had it so hot it was dangerous - use common sense. I pulled the seat back a tiny bit to keep it out of view but it still looks like it's in a normal position, the mat on the floor butts up against it too.

Steve.
Old 06 July 2001, 03:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tried this before as it would be quite neat, but never got even a small amp to fit once the wiring and everything else is in-situ - it severely compromises foot space for rear passengers and the amp could be kicked. Might be worth mounting it on some thin MDF which you could trim to look nice. Just make sure is doesn't get in the way of seatbelt pretensioners. Some amps have wiring/connectors on 2 or more sides and they are trickier.

Would be easier to wire than in the boot as the signal cable and speaker cable could go to the centre console toward the back of the headunit if you want to pick up the factory speaker wiring there. Power wire would be an easier route - through the firewall to land in the passenger footwell and then along the left side to the left B pillar and under the seat. Ground - could consider seat mounts?

Another alternative if it will not fit is to fit it on a vertically mounted piece of MDF in a corner of the boot - this can work quite well. If you felt brave you could flush mount it by building an MDF thingie to fit flush with the amp so it wouldn't protrude.

Certainly the amp manuals often advise that under the seat is an option and often give clearance distances. All the best with it! And watch you knuckles!

Oh, another thing, says I who does not like to upgrade - I did add a 2 channel "effort" at a later stage, and it was easy as all the wiring was already in the boot for the 4 channel and I even had a spare phono lead in-situ! If you went under the seat, a 2nd amp would have to go elsewhere. Same thing if you added other gadgets I suppose - eg. active crossovers, some equalisers.

Sony recently advertised XM423SL I think it was, which although not partic. powerful (20ishWRMS x4) was clearly small enough to go under a seat and was merely inserted into the ISO plug at the back of the headunit with supplied adaptors. I think they still recommended a proper power cable though, but a nice idea for stealth and ease of installation.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 06 July 2001).]
Old 06 July 2001, 05:58 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL! John I'm sorry man,I just found the phrase funny.
Just to add an idea to John's post,if the amp will fit under the seat without sticking out at all then it may be a good choice as long as there's about an inch of clearance on top of it for heat dissapation.
In one install I did,the amp fit the floor perfectly but didn't have quite enough clearance so when I put the seat back in I shimmed all four bolts with about a half inch of washers.It raised the seat just enough for the proper ventilation.
And it is a good grounding point too.This may or may not work for you in your car.You'll need to do some investigating first if you know the size of the amp.
Old 06 July 2001, 05:59 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL! John I'm sorry man,I just found the phrase funny.
Just to add an idea to John's post,if the amp will fit under the seat without sticking out at all then it may be a good choice as long as there's about an inch of clearance on top of it for heat dissapation.
In one install I did,the amp fit the floor perfectly but didn't have quite enough clearance so when I put the seat back in I shimmed all four bolts with about a half inch of washers.It raised the seat just enough for the proper ventilation.
And it is a good grounding point too.This may or may not work for you in your car.You'll need to do some investigating first if you know the size of the amp.
Old 08 July 2001, 08:01 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Smile

Screwed a Sony XM 255EX amp under the passenger seat without any problems. Not too hot and doesnt get kicked either.

Mark...