ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting 605cs

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2001, 02:08 PM
GraemeC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Finally getting round to fitting the speakers bought from Craigomundos (good price, but still waiting for a problem to be resolved, hint )

The main cones have dropped straight into the original mounts as everyone promised they would
Crossovers are mounted in the 'hole' above the main cone and held in place with gaffer tape and cable ties (shouldn't move in a hurry)
Tweeters are currently holding themselves in place magically until I get some better brackets made up

Now the questions/help:

The one door I have completed sounds very bright and without a lot of bass (especailly compared to the standard item in the other door) - is this usual and do the speakers just need running in like all good home hifi speakers?
Will wiring the tweeters into the -3dB screw make a huge amount of difference? Which way have people on the list got theirs wired?

Finally I am presuming that of the red and green wires in the OEM speaker connector that the red is the positive - is this right?

Edited to make sense!!

[This message has been edited by GraemeC (edited 05 July 2001).]
Old 05 July 2001, 02:16 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

People do say they sound bright, I have my headunit on -3 for treble as opposed to wiring it to the -3 option.

Mine seemed to sound more bassy when I soldered my speaker wires onto the main unit, and used proper connects as opposed to twisting wire together

cheers,

greg
Old 05 July 2001, 02:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tweeters at -3dB will make them slightly less bright and you may prefer it (or hardly notice it!) I run then at 0dB and they are lovely with headunit controls on flat. A nice loud sub complements them nicely

Can't help you with the OEM speaker wires - use other wire now - look back through postings and people have documented it before.
Old 05 July 2001, 03:37 PM
GraemeC
Scooby Regular

John - The speakers are running off the head unit at the moment, altough I have a view to put an amp in at a later date. I will try the on the -3dB to see if that maks any difference!

gregh - I have soldered the wires on and all connections are crimped and soldered too, in fact I was quite proud of my handywork!!

Old 05 July 2001, 04:16 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Graeme,

I'm fitting an amp to my 605s in the v near future, your welcome to a listen if your ever over this side of the penines.

greg
Old 05 July 2001, 04:57 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If it's at all possible,before final assembly,experiment a little with both tweeter placment and db xover.Listen to a few songs you know well and then change the db's.Listen to them again.Also move the tweet around to where it sounds best to you.Where it winds up will effect what tweeter terminal you use.If they weren't inside the doors this could be done over a longer period of time.It DOES take a while.