Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2007, 07:13 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitting a new HU

Hi all,
Just ordered myself a new headunit for Christmas

Its a double din Pioneer D3BT and is to go in to an STi Spec D.

So the question is will i be able to fit this myself or not? I'm hoping the main wiring would be the same as its got a pioneer headunit already. However given (i'm guessing) that theres going to be a bunch of other wires (gps etc) and i've no idea a the moment where they go (and frankly i'm not the best at DIY!) maybe not. I'll also need to remove the smartnav screen.

I have in prior scoobs managed to install headunits/speakers and even a sub to the boot once so not a complete dufus ... but not far off(!).

Are there any instructions or can anyone tell me how to remove the fascia to get to the stereo space? ANy ideas of best places to run the cables and whether this is a doomed exercise?

Thanks for any advice,

Nick
Old 20 December 2007, 02:50 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nraponi
Are there any instructions or can anyone tell me how to remove the fascia to get to the stereo space?

Thanks for any advice,

Nick
See the ICE FAQ, links there showing how to remove the MY05 onwards trim.

Tony.
Old 20 December 2007, 05:00 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to slide the gear surround forward to pop the front fascia. There are white plastic clips that need very gentle manipulation to pop forward. Chiark used to have a great guide but I think thats elapsed now. chiark.com

This is a good resource also.

ehgp publishing ltd private pages

Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more - Car Audio, Video & Security - NASIOC

Most good double dins are connected pretty easily via serial ports these days. I had to buy a kenwood adapter to connect the existing wiring to new new H/U but it was very easy. The only unknown is the mounting bracket in the Spec D which I imagine is set up for single din ? You may need to buy a double din subaru mount as I have no idea whats behind the blanking cover/pocket, and you need to reuse the subaru fixings.

Have you gone for a DVD player or something ? I really like the SpecD's Single Din.

Stu

Last edited by 53; 20 December 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 20 December 2007, 05:17 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Yep, good point - bit of a "DOH!" there!

Thanks, found some really good instructions on removing the fascia.

Has anyone removed the smartnav and/or suggestions on how/where to place the ipod (glovebox?) and gps receiver?

Cheers
Nick
Old 20 December 2007, 05:20 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the links and advice Stu.

Yes, its a double DIN with dvd/nav, vehicle dynamics (probably the main reason i was tempted sadly!) and importantly much better ipod control
Old 20 December 2007, 05:20 PM
Scooby Senior

I would also like to remove the smart nav, but the unit will leave a small dash hole from what I can see.
Old 20 December 2007, 09:39 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Do you have any pics of the standard spec D setup, didn't know it was single DIN. Other newage imprezas i've seen with single din Units (JDM) have had the same mounting brackets as the OEM UK double DIN, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Tony.

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2007, 09:50 PM
Scooby Senior

Subaru Impreza Review
Old 04 May 2008, 07:30 PM
Bigandy
Scooby Regular

Default Subaru OEM Single pocket fitting.

I have tried but had no luck. I am now beggining to wonder how its done.
Fitted the Alpine iDA-X001 by using the 2 brackets from the EOM Kenwood head unit but cant find any way of securing the pocket underneath it, there is no way the holes line up. I have tried holding it in position while putting the fascia back but it sticks out too far and the fascia is bowed in the middle so its obviously not correct. I have also removed the small plastic lip at the front middle of the pocket; I read about that somewhere on the new but it still wont fit correctly.

Also, as I have a type UK it has the Satnav screen at the top of the fascia and in my impatience I broke one of the little white plastic clips that secure the top of the fascia so does anyone know where i can get some more or is it a trip to the dealer?

Anyone got any clues, its all driving me nuts at the minute.

Also dont attempt to do this sort of work after a 6 hour wash, clay, polish and wax session.............
Old 04 May 2008, 09:07 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

If you are using the Silver Forester single din pocket, you will need to drill some holes in the brackets to make it fit. The black open pockets will fit without drilling, but don't look as nice.

Not sure about the satnav screen, didn't know they came with this?