Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Bugeye rear shelf anyone fitted 6x9s..

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2007, 10:38 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye rear shelf anyone fitted 6x9s..

Looking at the idea of fitting a set of 6x9s to my rear shelf without making a complete new shelf up.

Been looing at the Vibe 6x9s which have a square look to them and fitting them underneath the metal shelf.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks
S!
Old 25 December 2007, 11:02 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

i'd also like to know if anyones done this - i'm guessing it requires drilling some mounting holes in the metal shelf but not sure if there's other stuff in the way.....
Old 26 December 2007, 10:30 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fitted some to min and found that they fouled the bars that go across under the shelf (it is part of the boot spring mechanism I think). Also, even though I fitted mine on the shelf with a spacer there was still a fair amount of metal to remove from the rear bulkhead.

I'm not sure how different it would be fitting them under the metal shelf.
Old 10 January 2008, 09:12 PM
jollycam
Scooby Newbie

Hiya, probably too late but there is a carbon fibre effect parcel shelf on the market that enables 6 x 9's to be fitted from above without cutting metal. I got mine off ebay and it worked a treat. Hope you got sorted.
Old 10 January 2008, 09:30 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Cool whats the link?

Thanks
S!
Old 16 January 2008, 09:58 AM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Fitted some Infinity Kappa 693.7i speakers into the parcel shelf on the weekend (6x9's). What a beetch of a job and it looks rubbish. The holes under the parcel shelf are too small on the right hand side to allow a flush mount so it had to be built up quite a bit. On top of that, the holes are not symetrical. The parcel shelf itself is not flat so all round its a PITA. I am going to have to find a way to build up the shelf to allow the speakers to sit at equal heights as I dont want to start cutting away the body of the car to fit speakers. A set of 6 inch speakers would probably have fitted better.

I am driving them with a crunch amp with a rubbish panasonicand MP3 head unit and the sound is nothing short of awesome. I was going to mount a sub but dont really see the need now.
Old 16 January 2008, 07:44 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swaussie
Fitted some Infinity Kappa 693.7i speakers into the parcel shelf on the weekend (6x9's). What a beetch of a job and it looks rubbish. The holes under the parcel shelf are too small on the right hand side to allow a flush mount so it had to be built up quite a bit. On top of that, the holes are not symetrical. The parcel shelf itself is not flat so all round its a PITA. I am going to have to find a way to build up the shelf to allow the speakers to sit at equal heights as I dont want to start cutting away the body of the car to fit speakers. A set of 6 inch speakers would probably have fitted better.

I am driving them with a crunch amp with a rubbish panasonicand MP3 head unit and the sound is nothing short of awesome. I was going to mount a sub but dont really see the need now.
I'll take some pics at the weekend, but I made some MDF spacers and covered them in some faux suede I had lying around in the garage. They are not perfect, but they look okay. I also cut some of the shelf out to make life a little easier. I might redo them in the summer.

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2008, 11:01 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info - i know its going to be a bitch of a job, but i dont want a sub box in my boot (and i've already got a great pair of Alpine 6x9s going spare)

pics of how you guys have done this would be very welcome
Old 17 January 2008, 12:22 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

I wish I had taken some photos but didnt think of it at the time. A dremel is recommended if you plan on cutting the parcel shelf and to get that off is a matter of taking out the plastic pins and removing the plastic bits that cover the pillar for the door.

One thing to remember: disable the rubbish rear speakers that Subaru fit. When I first fired mine up I had the standard rears running off the HU and the Infinities running off the amp and couldnt for the life of me figure out why it sounded so bad