Vibrating rear speaker

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2001, 05:16 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi,
The left rear speaker vibrates (distorts, makes a funny buzzing sound) - it happens at normal volume but can be made to go away by turning the base right down + gets worse with more volume and base.

Any idea how to fix it??

Richard
Old 12 June 2001, 10:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two possibilities - damaged speaker or intact speaker leading to local vibrations. Sounds more like the former. The FAQ referred to in other posts will tell you how to get at the rear shelf - it is a right royal pain. When in there you could check everything is tight and so on. It may be a good opportunity to replace the rear speakers if you are in there - aftermarket 6.5" or 6x9s (some models) will go in and cost only £50 for reasonable Sony/Kenwood/Pioneer etc. Probably not worth spending more if you are on the factory headunit, and if you are upgrading, then really you only want the rears at low level for rear fill with all the quality and power at the fronts.
Old 13 June 2001, 03:37 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

John's right.That noise could be anything from a bug rattling on the cone to moisture damage in the voice coil.Like he said,give it a look.If you can't see any visable reason for the noise,replace it with another factory unit.
And as he said,if you replace those rears with aftermarket stuff,all your sq will be shifted to the back and make the fronts sound like (pants?) junk.
Someone here must have the factory speakers still kicking around the garage?Maybe they'll sell them to you cheap.
John?
Old 13 June 2001, 08:55 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks guys,

I'm going to have a look at the speaker for damage + make sure everything is screwed down!

I've got a CD head unit but would prefer to upgrade the front speakers before the back to keep the F/R balance OK.

Richard
Old 13 June 2001, 05:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've actually refitted the factory rear speakers!! (shows how valueless rear aftermarkets are when you have good fronts).

There is a reasonable argument Richard if you have an aftermarket headunit of just fitting new fronts and disconnecting or fading out the rears. It would save you so much heartache from opening the shelf. If you have £120 or so, some Kenwood DualMags PSR70P (components) will go straight in the front and sound ace. IMHO they sound nearly as good as the (cheaper) Infinity 605CS (which I have) but have the advantage that they are more sensitive (same volume at half the power = 3dB) and so should sound reasonably loud off your headunit, but still give a good reserve to amplify at a later date if you wanted to. With speakers that good in the front, I think I am right in saying that if you fade out or disconnect the rears, the headunit will be able to drive the fronts harder so you will not actually be losing volume - the reason for this I believe is that the headunits "power" amps share a power supply and it is this that limits distortion free output. Correct me if I am wrong guys. If you felt virtuous, once you have fitted new front speakers you could take the factory fronts and put them in the back - they are the same size. So you could try upgrading the fronts first and then if you can be bothered sort the back out! Endless possibilities.
Old 14 June 2001, 09:13 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ta for the advice - I'll check it out at the weekend.

Richard