ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

subs....not in a box

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 11:21 PM
BigBez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subs....not in a box

i want a cheap clean setup nothin over the top. I want to still have boot space you see, so im thinking of making a better boot floor to cover spare wheel etc and to bolt 2 or 3 subs to the under side of it so they just popping through into the boot but almost flat ...are you with me

will they still sound ok without their own box or will they even work at all ??
Old 21 July 2007, 06:51 PM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

I'm not a sub expert, but am pretty sure you'll need to check the acoustic enclosure size recommended by the subs you choose -then measure your space and work out how high the false floor needs to be. I'm pretty sure the enclosure you will end up building will need to sealed except for a measured port. Frankly, it could be a lot of hard work with the fiddly dimensions involved in fitting it to the wheel well - and then what if you flat and your spare is at home?? Good luck if you get it done, sounds like an interesting challenge.

I do recall seeing someone on here who had a fairly large pre packaged sub that lay perfectly in the wheel well - think it was an infinity. In fact, it may have even laid inside the spare wheel with it laid into the wheel well outer edge down. Search the forums.

I've put an apline SWD1600 under my seat - you won't hear it from the next post code, but its adds a really good note to the car. Someone else has put 2 of these in (or the similar pioneer ones), and at circa £100 each it could be job done for little outlay.
Old 21 July 2007, 11:24 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

I'd look at getting a free air sub for your requirements (one that doesn't need an enclosure) coz ans Rustle73 said - it will be a lot of hard work.

How much room do you need in your boot???

I carry a can of tyre weld and if you view my scooby you'll see why.

You wont have much room left in the wheel well (if any) no matter what size you put in there (except 8") and then you have to think about how to stop it getting damaged if it's on the floor of your boot and things are rolling around.

If you put a false "wall" in there and then put the subs between the seats and the divider, you stop the damage, get an enclosure AND still get to keep boot space.
Old 22 July 2007, 08:26 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Another alternative is some 6x9 subs in the existing speaker holes like this:

Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Kenwood KFC-WDA69RC - Kenwood KEN-KFCWDA69RC
Old 22 July 2007, 07:12 PM
BigBez
Scooby Regular

intersting stuff

as im not bothered about the best gear you can get, ill just stick to a Free-air-sub.....alot nowadays are for ported sealed and free air oh and bandpass so theres no shortage of selection.

as to stop things rolling around i may just create a second false floor just to put over the top of subs when ever i go out shopping or need to put stuff in boot....stuff like tools are underneath anyway with the wheel...