Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Weight loss sought - Need powerful yet light sub???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2007, 10:02 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight loss sought - Need powerful yet light sub???!!!

I'm running 2*6.5 inch front Focals front and 6*9 Focals rear (I had Dyn Audio fronts but they required a bridged 4 channel genesis amp to run just fronts so I swapped as Focals are easy to power - they are acceptable quality as a compromise)

I was running 2*12 Diamond M5 subs (rated 150-400rms each at 4 ohms). I have a Genesis Miniblock that was more than capable of running them at less than half power :-) - Bass is a necesssity but it weighs a lot and effects the handling............

I want a lighter single sub alternative - any suggestions? - money is not really an issue here, but obviously within reason - would probably be in excess of £500 given the subs I had were about £700+ boxed

I will compromise as long as I get some bass, which is always an issue in a saloon classic subaru.................
Old 26 June 2007, 05:25 PM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

What model were the Dyns and do you want to sell them
Old 30 June 2007, 09:24 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

MD160 with X250 xovers
Currently though not for sale

I went for a JL Audio W6 13.5 inch sub on the back seat
Its a bit of a thud, thud sub with no real class which I'm a bit disappointed at - maybe it'll bed in and sound better over time - certainly not even close to musical Bass quality as the Diamond 12 inch subs I have
Saying that I use more power on the Genesis amp to run this than I did on 2*12 inch Diamond subs!

I may have to keep the Dyn's as I have no end of problems with water down the metal passage area inside the front doors - this typically wouldnt be a problem is it didnt run down the back of the speaker and also soak the mdf collars - next step is to varnish new collars abou 5 times and try again...