ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Single vent sealed bandpass box

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2001, 07:04 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.cotton.dk/images/sub/

I just (almost) finished building it, sounds amazing and shakes the whole car. I used Blaubox to get the box dimensions and designed it on QCad for Linux. It's an Infinity 1020W 10" Reference sub, the contacts and port I took from my old box. MDF is 18mm, glued first then pinned with long panel pins and sealed with sealant. I'll cover it in some carpet later but I definitely recommend designing your own properly tuned box, it sounds so much better. The cat is for size reference

Steve.
Old 27 December 2001, 03:54 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Looks good, could you post the actual overall dimensions and possibly individual panel sizes?.
Old 27 December 2001, 04:12 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Nice *****

Where did you get the dimensions from, or was it your own design. I have a Kenwood MDF box, but takes up to much room in the boot and is very poorly designed. I was thinking about designing my own stealth box, that fits on the right hand side of the boot, but wondered the sort of internal dimensions (Volume) I'd be looking for a 12 inch JBL sub.

Cheers Phill C
Old 03 January 2002, 03:01 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

I got what dimensions I needed (size of the vent, enclosures, etc) from Blaubox. If you want the actual .vxf file you're more than welcome, contains a complete blueprint and should be usable with most CAD proggies. Unless you're using exactly the same sub you'll need slightly different dimensions but for mine, each box is 1.03 cubic feet, the port is 3 inches in diameter. I looked at doing a showy install but decided on sound quality instead, building the box to the sub instead of to the car. For a 12" sub you'll need far more room (even for the 'average' sealed enclosure) than a stealth install allows. Get yourself Blaubox and see how big it needs to be, then try and fit it where you want it.

Sizes:

Overall length: 768mm
Height: 340mm
MDF thickness: 18mm

Each enclosure is (roughly) 12 x 12 x 13 inches.

Steve.

[Edited by stevencotton - 03/01/2002 15:09:15]
Old 08 January 2002, 06:21 PM
Luke
BANNED

Steve, Does this program include plans for a JLAudio 8W6 speaker??
I too am wanting to build better enclosure. If so could you let me have the Plans/sizes etc

Thanks

Luke
07958 425508
Old 14 January 2002, 01:42 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Nope, you need to get the specifications of your sub, and box sizes are calculated according to that. I'm using a Rockford Fosgate 250.2 to drive the sub.

Steve.
Old 14 January 2002, 10:12 PM
Luke
BANNED

Steve , I can provide full details, Would you mind running through your "Blaubox program for me???

Luke
Old 15 January 2002, 01:41 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

It'll be better if you download it yourself, then you can look at response curves and maybe print out a plan for the box

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/speakers...x_program.html

Steve.
Old 15 January 2002, 09:21 AM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Hmm - nice program - I like the idea of a monkey driving a car!

Only problem is the usual - it only models normal shapes Can't do funny fit-into-the-corner-of-the-boot shapes 'n stuff like that. Bummer (said Dougal)

Don't suppose you've seen a modelling program where you can specify the shape in more detail, have you? I want to put a pair of Phase-Linear Alliante 8's in the front doors of my Legacy!
Old 15 January 2002, 10:20 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Steve.

Cheers

Luke
Old 15 January 2002, 10:47 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Globbits -
Just get the volume from the program, & then start doing that stuff we all learnt at school & then forgot as it's useless - note the shape of where you want to fit the box, then 'slice it up' into standard boxes/triangles (or rather their approximations) & keeping adding them up until the volume matches that required by the sub. It's rather tedious, but works.
The most important thing to remember is that you're working to internal volume, not to external, especially when doing it this way round. The thickness of the MDF makes a suprising difference to the volume achievable in a given space.
It's possible to increase the effective internal volume by around 10% (I think) by adding foam to the sides of the box. I forget if BlauBox can cater for this or not - as far as I remember, it can't.
And anyway, despite how accurate the graphs are, this isn't really an exact science. The lengths of the sides does make a difference, but the internal volume is the most important. In some ways, a wierd-shaped box is better 'cos it means that there should be no scope for standing waves to build up. You might be in trouble if you're trying to do a bandpass box, though - they're pretty fussy...
Old 15 January 2002, 10:56 AM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Yeah - I usually do that. But, the trouble is if you get a really odd shape - like when you're desperately trying to increase the volume by another 0.1cu ft, to achieve the optimum, then you can get some weird resonance points. That's what I'm trying to plot/cancel out.

In any case, I just love the raspy throat syndrome, after spending two days chopping up bits of MDF for yet another sub-box, so I'm happy to try try again
Old 01 August 2002, 08:59 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

What are you using to drive your sub?

[Edited by audio g man - 1/12/2002 10:46:07 PM]