ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MDF custom bracket thickness?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2007, 10:59 AM
Sleazy Badger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDF custom bracket thickness?

I am in the process of getting all the bits together I need for my door install. So far I have ordered some Infinity Reference 6010CS components and a dynamat door kit. Will also get some new cable when I get them installed. I understand that I need to make some custom MDF brackets for the speakers to fit properly and not foul the door - but what thickness should I look at? - bearing in mind that the door will be dynamat'd aswell...

Car is a '99 UK Turbo

Last edited by Sleazy Badger; 30 April 2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: general numptiness
Old 02 May 2007, 09:42 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I used 19mm thick mdf to fit the infinity speakers in mine which is a my04 sti should be very similar anything less than 19mm i would have broke the window
Old 02 May 2007, 09:51 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Are they 6 1/2"? If so, you could by some vauxhall corsa brackets. They fit classics (like my 00), and save you having to customise anything. And they're instantly waterproof. If you search this forum you'll see others have used them.
Old 04 May 2007, 09:17 AM
Sleazy Badger
Scooby Regular

No, they are 6" speakers I believe. I'm not sure there are any brackets that I can use to fit...

Good point about waterproofing though - I haven't thought about this. Will the plastic liner of the door need to be cut and if so will I need to buy one of those waterproof kits for the back of the speakers?

Thanks for your comments chaps...
Old 18 May 2007, 03:45 PM
whitepilgrim
Scooby Regular

Vauxhall Nova speaker adaptors fit staight in to scoobs available from Halfrauds
Old 18 May 2007, 06:45 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

'99 models have far more room in the door than new-age models. You may not need adaptors at all.
Old 30 May 2007, 12:06 AM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

I fitted these to a MY98 just a few weeks ago. The 6010CS's will fit straight in without any mdf required. Basically there is an existing plastic mount in the door that includes a weathershield on the rear. This mount attaches to the existing speakers with 3 screws. The 6010's have 4 screws, but come with a steel adaptor ring in the box. This ring can be fitted to the existing mount but you first have to remove the 3 proud plastic locating lugs, fit the steel ring to the plastic one with 3 screws (from the old speakers), then fit the speaker to the steel ring with 4 screws supplied in the box. I also installed the foam seal between the steel ring and speaker just for good measure - seemed like a good thing to do bascially.

You need to pay attention to the cable pins at the rear of the speaker - 2 sets, 1 points straight out, the other points to the side - I had to bend 1 set out of the way so that the speakers sits evenly into the weathershield. Was no problem as the other ones were available for connection.

I did find that pretty much all of the threads on fitting these relate to 03 and later cars, and was suprised when it was so simple in the classic. And the door card fits perfectly back on abnd doesn't pop off.

FYI, I used the silver tweeter mount and drilled 2 (no) 3mm holes and the small mounting screws went straight in. I did find that if you drill too close to the door handle that its not completely flat, and when you screw in the mount it warps slightly and you can't fit the tweeter in. Simply ensure that its mounted on the flat part of the door adjacent to the handle.

Hope this helps. I have some piccies on my phone if you want.