Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Possible to have a lot of bass, with no subs?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2007, 11:43 AM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to have a lot of bass, with no subs?

Hi guys, first time I have ever set foot in this section woah

I need a very good sound system, however, I do not want anything asthetically changing, I just want to keep everything looking standard, and avoid subs and amps etc.

Can i get a really good sound system without subs and amps? I want a lot of bass aswell, if needs be I would invest in an amp and stick it in the boot somewhere, but I definatly dont want a sub.

Cheers, Eddie
Old 22 February 2007, 12:01 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Multijfj
Hi guys, first time I have ever set foot in this section woah

I need a very good sound system, however, I do not want anything asthetically changing, I just want to keep everything looking standard, and avoid subs and amps etc.

Can i get a really good sound system without subs and amps? I want a lot of bass aswell, if needs be I would invest in an amp and stick it in the boot somewhere, but I definatly dont want a sub.

Cheers, Eddie
Maybe a nice set of components?

Front & rear?
Old 22 February 2007, 12:17 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo it will never be the same but you should be able to get a good result if you buy the right kit. i take it you drive a scooby? if so my suggestion would be a quality set of 6x9 for the rear and a quality set of components for the front. hook these up with a decent amp with the decent filters built in and you should get a great sound. the other i'd suggest is investing in some sound deadening. makes a huge difference. only downside is you're adding weight to your car. but it won't be as much as a sub and enclosure.

As for what actual kit to go for, it's going to depend on your budget.
Old 22 February 2007, 12:53 PM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

You're really gonna struggle mate especially in a newage because theres no provision for speakers in the shelf.

You'll be using the standard door locations and theres not lot of room in the front doors and theres even less in the rears.

You basically want to get a very nice set of components for the front doors and they'll seriously benefit from being amp'd. I'm looking into attempting the same with mine (blobeye like yours) and I'm struggling to find anything within reason that will provide decent bass.

There used to be some 4" and 5 1/4" mid bass drivers around years ago that I thought I might be able to use in the rear doors but I know its gonna sound crap. At their very best they'll sound much worse than if I just throw a boxed 8 in the boot.

You might have to just build a grp box as small as poss and be done with that mate. Or get yourself one of these

Alpine SWD 1600 Ultra compact under-seat subwoofer - Alpine SWD-1600 - Enclosed Subwoofers - Car Audio Centre

Old 26 February 2007, 09:25 AM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

I have one of these little Alpine subs under the drivers seat, it's not like having a couple of 12's in the boot but for what it is and how much is cost it's great.

Originally Posted by PPPRob
You're really gonna struggle mate especially in a newage because theres no provision for speakers in the shelf.

You'll be using the standard door locations and theres not lot of room in the front doors and theres even less in the rears.

You basically want to get a very nice set of components for the front doors and they'll seriously benefit from being amp'd. I'm looking into attempting the same with mine (blobeye like yours) and I'm struggling to find anything within reason that will provide decent bass.

There used to be some 4" and 5 1/4" mid bass drivers around years ago that I thought I might be able to use in the rear doors but I know its gonna sound crap. At their very best they'll sound much worse than if I just throw a boxed 8 in the boot.

You might have to just build a grp box as small as poss and be done with that mate. Or get yourself one of these

Alpine SWD 1600 Ultra compact under-seat subwoofer - Alpine SWD-1600 - Enclosed Subwoofers - Car Audio Centre

Old 26 February 2007, 02:52 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_68
I have one of these little Alpine subs under the drivers seat, it's not like having a couple of 12's in the boot but for what it is and how much is cost it's great.
Is this in an Impreza? I ended up going for 6x9 subs on the rear shelf because I couldn't find anything that would fit under the seat of a Classic Impreza. Neither solution is going to give perfect results but that neat little Alpine sub would be much less effort than the route I took!!
Old 26 February 2007, 03:03 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

set of vibe 6x9 subs would be good.... youll need an ampto get anywhere near half decent bass. stealth sub box would look ok.
Old 27 February 2007, 01:01 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

Blaupunkt do a self contained unit for under seats
Think it just runs from the normal speaker wires - not too sure but looks compact.

Check their website out for futher details

Cant really talk with a 15" sub and four amps in mine

The other option is to get a set of components for the doors and lose the tweeters so there is no high end coming out if them. Extreme but it might work?????????????

Last edited by scooby51; 27 February 2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: another option