Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE replacement - Shopping list?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2007, 02:01 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICE replacement - Shopping list?

Hi all,

OK, after recently getting my car (MY00 Classic) it's still fitted with all the standard ICE stuff.. i.e it's not upto much so I'm looking to replace a few things. I'm not after spleen rupturing bass etc, just something nice to listen to without making my ears bleed no need for amps and stuff.. just straight swap. I've been reading some of the ICE faqs etc, and have come up with a bit of a shopping list. Just wanted to get some of your opinions, on what I've chosen, potential problems etc.

I might not stick with any particular supplier here.. the links are just for reference.

So first off HU.. Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Sony MEX-BT5000 - Sony SON-MEXBT5000
Wiring adaptor..
Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Subaru wiring adaptor - Maystar MAY-PX653

Front door speakers..
Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Infinity Kappa 52.7i - Infinity INF-KAPPA52.7I
with these adaptors THEBASSBIN

Rear Shelf Speakers..
Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Infinity Kappa 652.7i - Infinity INF-KAPPA652.7I

A possible expansion at a later date..
Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Sony CDX-T70MX - Sony SON-CDXT70MX

And that's pretty much it.. any problems with that lot, should be a straight swap? Anything else I need?

Cheers..
Old 19 February 2007, 07:57 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Surely someone can tell me if that lot looks & sounds ok?
Old 19 February 2007, 08:18 PM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

Not really up on classics mate but my rule of thumb for ICE is:

Fronts should be bigger/better than rears.

Try and squeeze that into your suggestions and you'll end up with a much nicer sounding system.

As far as your HU and changer decision, my suggestion is to hear a few rather than buying on price alone. You might prefer the sound of a different system and then start the bargain hunting

I'd work out how much you want to spend on the whole kit first and go from there.

Old 19 February 2007, 09:41 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rob,

I was looking at those speakers as from what I've read that's what seems to fit as a direct replacement and the Infinity kappa's seem to have good reviews.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with them here, and if they fit ok in classics. I might be wrong, but afaik if I'm going to do a straight swap 15cm speakers will fit the front of a classic with the mentioned adaptors, decided on 17cm speakers for the rear because I thought they might provide a little more bass. Not after a sub or anything just don't want it sounding too "tinny".

Don't want to spend more than £500 really, and that lot pretty much comes within budget (excluding the changer).
Old 20 February 2007, 07:49 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Infinity's are good, you would do well to amp the fronts with an external power amp and forget the rears, better to have the best sound you can in the front where you are sitting, a 10" sub would do wonders as well, if it is set up correctly you will get superb results and it don't have to make your ears bleed if you don't want it like that.
Spend as much as you can on the head unit, no matter what speakers and amps you have in the car, the head unit will be the deciding factor for quality as it produces/transfers the sound from the disc to an audio signal, send an amp a ****e signal and it will produce...........................****e sound as a result.
Old 07 March 2007, 09:06 AM
ace2000
Scooby Regular

hi iam after pretty much the same speaker set up (thanks for doing the homework swampster) can anyone confirm these front and rear speakers with the adapter are a straight swap cheers Justin...
Old 07 March 2007, 10:36 AM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

It sounds like a decent enough setup, you won't go hugely wrong with Sony or Infinity kit.

One element I do believe is missing is sound deadening. This is perhaps the greatest inprovement, and should really be done as a first step. Sound deadening will put a stop to all of the vibrations and reflections, and will make even the poorest of ICE sound reasonable.

The general rule is to deaden as much as you can, but as a bare minimum you should be deadening the metalwork right behind the door speaker...

It's tricky work, but the results are awesome

If it were me, I would deaden now, with your current setup, that way you'll see the benefit in it's standard form. Otherwise, you'll be convinced it's made no difference and put the improvement down to your new HU etc. Use either dynamat or Second Skin - both or which are very good.

Stage One would be the doors. Stage two, the rear shelf. Stage 3 (the extreme but cool bit) would be the entire boot lining and any other bits of bare metal you can get to!

Plus, it will give you that vital experience of taking the car to bits, which isn't hard, just slightly tricky to remember all of the steps.
Old 07 March 2007, 02:14 PM
ace2000
Scooby Regular

true kuro, i sound deadend virtually all of my focus but the car was that heavy petrol consumption went out of the window and it used to eat front discs and pads.. i would deffo do the front door skins tho...justin..
Old 08 March 2007, 12:04 AM
Masami
Scooby Regular

I've read previous posts of people regretting buying the Kappas due to the amount the tweeter protrudes.
Old 08 March 2007, 01:43 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

Swampmaster - if it sounds right to you then it probably is

You have to listen it, no one else (unless you got passengers)

But I do agree with the advice - Listen to various HU's and spend the most on the HU.
Rear speakers aren't generally necessary unless for films or passenger fill in.

Believe me, I have heard some systems with just front components and a 10" sub knock spots off multi speaker installs for sheer quality.