ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Bootlid speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2007, 02:51 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bootlid speaker install

I thought I would share with all the process of the speaker build project that I have been completing. Its a glass fibre with MDF speaker frame job that fits perfectly into the inside of the bootlid so that when the boot is open they are staring you in the face.

I have played with glass fibre many times before on my boot install for the scoob and for other projects so it didnt get too messy!

Anyway here are the pics...

Step 1: Remove bootlid and cover with foil, secure with masking tape. Chuck a load of glass fibre and resin on it. Put infront of heater and wait till its dry. Trim off excess when ready.

Step 2: Make up rings for the speakers to fit in. Make stands to hold speaker rings. Glue into place, fit a couple of the speakers and admire for a little bit.

Step 3: Once speaker rings are fitted securely, pull old t-shirts over the top and paste on some resin.

Step 4: when dry, cut out holes to fit speakers into and apply thin layer of sandable filler to new surface.

Step 5: Sand down filler until smooth (takes AGES!!)

Step 6: When completely smooth, spray with primer. Then spray with choice of colours. Drill holes to fit speaker wire and tidy wire with a length of flexible conduit. Fit speakers then stand back and admire again!

They took a fair few weekends to get right but I am happy with the results. The fit them in place on the boot lid I needed to drill a couple of holes in the raised metal sheet, put a bolt in from the back, nut it up from the front then place the speaker box over it. One nut and a large washer later and its sits in nicely!

Hope this inspires some of you to try it yourself.

Cheers,

The Hoff
Old 16 February 2007, 02:56 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!
Old 16 February 2007, 03:46 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Looks the business !!

Personally taking the boot off would be too challenging........
Old 16 February 2007, 04:26 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

I am actually selling the bootlid speaker box now (the build happened about 6 months ago) as I am going for a more moderate boot install with less weight. If you are interested then give me a shout, not sure what to ask really. Not keen on selling the rest of the install though as I love it

The speakers are JBL 5.0C and a set of Kenwood 3 way components. Worth about £85 for the pair then there is the materails and the large amont of man hours that it actually took to build it!

Any care to take a stab of how much I should ask for it?

Last edited by The Hoff; 19 February 2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 16 February 2007, 04:33 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

This is the rest of the boot install... (and the DIY flamer kit)

It all looks good together with the dark metallic purple and the bright white.

Last edited by The Hoff; 16 February 2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 16 February 2007, 06:14 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

not my style , but hands up to you as you done a good job. Still dont understand the reason for boot lid speakers !!
But 100% for the great effort.
Old 17 February 2007, 12:21 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

Now that's CLASS

I'm looking at doing something similar but with some screen so thanks for the helpful hints!!!!!!!

Seamaster - take it you've never built a show car?? Its all about the WOW factor dude!!
Old 17 February 2007, 10:38 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

scooby51

why? some show cars that are examples of that some installers can fit a amazing system and the car remains steath. Its not all bling bling !
Old 18 February 2007, 11:49 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Seamaster - It all started about 3 years ago when I still used to go to cruises and was a right wide boy, neons on the car and all!! I had done many other stereo builds using just MDF but Pimp my ride insprired me to try fibreglass. As Scooby1 said it was all about the WOW factor when you opened up the bootlid to show off.

I have grown up a lot since and now have no need for the speakers in strange places. As I said I started the project years ago and it got put on hold, its was only recently that I pulled my finger out and finished it off for self satifaction.

Once I have built my new light weight (The sub box alone weighs a ton!) stealth-e-er setup I will sell on the one pictured above, I still want a bit of wow factor but not so much.

Last edited by The Hoff; 18 February 2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 20 January 2008, 10:36 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Very nice guide. Must give that a go.