arc audio kar265 speakers + 8d2 sub

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2007, 11:05 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default arc audio kar265 speakers + 8d2 sub

Had this kit lying around for ages because I lost the interest in anything to do with car audio for a while, but I finally got my thumb out of my bum and installed it this week / weekend

I used to run Infinity Reference 5000CS 5.25" comps in the stock locations, and I always found them *way* too bright and completely lacking any mid bass. Since going back from an active setup to passive, my EQ settings were +4db bass and -6db trebble (!!) because otherwise the infinity's were so bright they felt like they would pierce my eardrum. I also had an old 10" caliber sub in a sealed enclosure for a bit of bass.

So, this week I've built a small sealed enclosure (9 litres) for the Arc 8d2 (ARC AUDIO ARC 8" Subwoofer) out of 18mm MDF, properly screwed together and with loads of no more nails to fill any gaps.

On first impressions this sub is absolutely amazing. It's only an 8, but it pounds harder than my old 10 ever did, and it even sounds good. I think I'd describe it as very controlled - certainly none of the boominess I'm used to from my old subs. Very, very happy with this sub, but unfortunately my boot interior now rattles like mad when turning it up way past where I'd normally listen to it

I also installed the components up front in my bodylined doors. Made adapters from the same 18mm MDF and made sure they sealed properly against the door (using draft excluder (this is good stuff!)) and the tweets are hidden behind the standard locations in the doors too.

All I can say is that I wish I'd installed these comps as soon as I got them, because they sound absolutely fantastic. My EQ is now set to flat, and even without a sub there's bass The sound is warm and not a hint of harschness, even when turning it up boy racer style

Granted, I haven't heard any of the expensive speakers you guys play around with, but I'm well chuffed with how the install turned out.

I haven't taken any pics, because up front it just looks like a stock subaru anyway and the boot's not carpeted at the moment

The above is all ran off a directed 750d mono amp for the sub (250W RMS @ 4ohm) and some PG Phoenix amp which I believe is 2x50W RMS for the fronts.