Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 02:34 PM
Gibb0
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Speakers

This is my first post so, hello to all.

I have just bought a 2006 WRX and want to change the ICE setup in it as the standard stuff (as you are all no doubt aware) is absolute $hite.......

I have everything sorted except the front speakers. Anyone have any recommendations for what to use. I want components and have up to £250 to spend. I have had Infinity in the past and they have served me well but I fancied a change this time. I have seen some Focal Slim's. Anyone had any experience of these (Focal 165V Slim 2-way separate £265 Focal, Sextons Direct. Also wondered if they would be thin enough to not need the MDF mounts????

Anywho let me know your thoughts on what kit I should spend my hard earned cash on.....

TIA
Gibb0
Old 05 December 2006, 04:39 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

firstly - welcome to scoobynet mate

focal speakers IMO, are some of the best around at the moment. The sound is crystal clear and the speakers are well made.

They do sound amazing when coupled to a suitable amp (not too powerful - check the ratings!!)

These speakers sound alot louder than they look

and don't forget the sound deadening to get rid of the rattles!!!!!
Old 06 December 2006, 08:33 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Depending on the fitting of the more modern cars, you may need to fabricate an adapter to fit any speaker to the car. IIRC on my MY02 the OEM speakers had a plastic mount 'glued' to the speaker to make it fit a quite bizarre triangular mounting on the inner door skin (badly explained - probably best to have a look at your car )
Focal speakers are very good, I had the 165K2's and the sound quality was excellent, running from an Rockford Fosgate Punch amp
I am having to replace the speakers now, as the muppets who installed the stuff placed the crossovers between the inner and outer metal doorskins. The connectors have rusted to buggery and a number of the ceramic electronic components have disintegrated - although this could be to do with excessive temperatures experienced.