ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Power dist block location

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2001, 03:40 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Had a power distribution block for ages but don't know the best place to put it seeing as I have to drill holes. Anyone mounted one of these? I don't have air con so I have a big gap where that would go which seems the best place to put it. Am wary of drilling holes without seeing if anyone else has done it first though

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 22 November 2001, 04:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erm, bit confused as to what you're trying to do here. I've been working too hard I think.

You've got a large cable running to the back of your car?
You've already fused your supply close to the battery?
You're wanting to add another amp?
You've got a power distribution block which takes 4 glass fuses?

Then you want a power distribution block. Put it in the boot, near to where you need the power to split...

I think it's been a long day and I need to lie down as I can't work out why you'd have power distribution anywhere near aircon...
Old 22 November 2001, 04:16 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

I have two power cables coming from the battery, both fused in the engine bay, running to both amps (one under passenger seat, one in boot). I want to have only one (fatter) power cable coming from the battery into the block, with two coming out to go to the amps - it just looks messy the way it is. I will keep the amps fused seperately as they are now. The only reason I mention air con is that I don't have it, so there's a nice gap there I could mount the block if it's safe.

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 22 November 2001, 04:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aha, I understand completely now. I'd say you're about in the right location for it, just make sure that it's easy to change fuses, and remove fuses when you're playing with things. I'd put it under the carpet just next to the ECU, and I'd probably not screw it down but find another way of mounting it, unless you can find some handy holes.

You will still need a fuse as close to the battery as possible, as you no doubt know.
Old 22 November 2001, 06:37 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Use some thick cable ties to mount it if you dont want to drill holes... Make sure the cables are secured as well....

There will be plenty of room in the passenger footwell behind the kick panel for one...

David
Old 24 November 2001, 03:30 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that guys, I'll try and get it sorted this weekend. I'm about to cut a template for the boot, what's the best way to secure it? I'd like to be able to whip it out occasionally (the MDF that is ), what have you guys done?

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 26 November 2001, 12:05 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
If you are putting it on the floor make it a tight fit or use some heavy duty velcro... (assuming you dont want to use bolts...) or find some existing bolts or screws...

David