Replacement of front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2001, 11:18 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

I have a 97 R imreza, and find the speakers in the front arenet loud enough copmpared with those in the rear.

I have a panasonic 4x40W single CD loader fitted already.

Has anyone else replaced theirs? I want something not too pricey. My main ideas are...

1. New fronts with two way cones.
2. New front compondent whatsit, with those iccle tweeters mounted higher up. If this is gonna be best, where the hell have other people mounted the little blighters, as there seems to be nowehere cos of the electric windowz.

Any ideas etc please?
Old 02 May 2001, 08:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Wotcha,

Dual cone is normally just another cone slapped in the middle of the woofer for dubious reasons that doesn't really do much... You can get units called "coaxials" which have a tweeter in the middle of 'em; easy to install, but less control over sound dispersion.

I'd personally go for a component set, with separate woofers (bigger speakers, around 6 inches) and tweeters. You'll need to install a cross-over too, but it will all be in the box.

For not too pricey, what are you thinking? Quite a lot of people have been going for the infinity range recently at around 100 quid?

There's a faq that may be helpful -
Old 02 May 2001, 05:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I started with coaxials as I was a wimp. Then I heard some components with the tweeters in the "factory" position - there is a void on my MY00 behind the tweeter grill - plenty of space in there for blutak and a tweeter - hasn't fallen off yet... Some ambitious folk mount tweeters in all sorts of clever places, but when there is a whacking great void there I thought it would be rude not to use it and it sounds ace. Needless to say, I soon put my coaxs in the back (waste of time BTW) and put some Infinity 605CS in the front. Chiark's FAQ is ace.
Old 02 May 2001, 06:42 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

My car is a 97, so doesnt have any tweeter grills in the front. Is that what you mean.

I was looking at some pheonix components, in a sale for £79. They also had the gold model for £105.

Thoght about runing the wire from the door along that iccle gap in the corner of the dash, to a position in the corner of the window.

The gut at the shop was keet to kake his saw to my door trim pannel to fit them just inder the window sill at the top of the door. Not too sure about that one tho. I'd rather not start hacking away really.

I'll have a look at the faq. Thanks
Old 02 May 2001, 08:30 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Ok, back again, checked out the faq pages (which are really good by the way, especially the first one you mention.

I have the interior before yours, with the window controlls mounted on the door, rather than build into the handle. As yours has a tweeter grill already it maked things significantly easier for you, but is a bit of a let down for me.

I'm tempted to just go for one of those co-axial whatsits for simplicity, but still think a component would be better.

Where do you recomend placing a tweeter on my interior style?
Old 03 May 2001, 08:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi Nuke

I think you've still got the plasticy bits behind the wing mirrors? If you have, mount 'em on the back of there. That's where mine are as it gives me better imaging.

If you don't have the little triangle bits, could you let me know and I'll add it to the FAQ?

Ta,

Nick.
Old 03 May 2001, 07:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could also consider coaxial with adjustable tweeter angle - some of the Inifinity range do this?