ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Best front speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2001, 10:51 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All
Have 5dr My00 and would like to upgrade front speakers. I have a Denon 6 Ch amp with built in crossover and a mb quart sub. Any ideas?
All the best.
Matthew
Old 02 May 2001, 08:23 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you like MB Quart, they're front stuff is pretty good - used to win competitions a few years back but is now quite conspicuous in the lack of fanfares in its adverts.

As Kryten says, how much wonga? And what are you trying to achieve - in yer face/laid back/etc for what kind of music?

Nick.
Old 02 May 2001, 12:45 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

price range, amp power output (real RMS not claimed max) and musical preferences would be helpful.

As for best, personally I like Dynaudio
Old 02 May 2001, 10:23 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

details on amp:-
denon dca800 5X 50w rms @8ohms these channels can be bridged in pairs to give 3X100w rms @4ohms (i use two bridged for the sub using the internal variable crossover.I could use the head unit to power the rear speakers as this is less important for me.
by the way i do like some quantity of sound but quality is far more important.
Thanks in advance for you advice.
Matthew.
Old 02 May 2001, 10:29 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Horgot to mention money not really a problem but don't want to spend more than i have to.
Music types any thing from rock, new skool punk, rap, dance and even some pop. (varied music taste as i work in the music business!)
MUST BE A STEALTH INSTALL.
Had mb quart three way fronts in my last mk3 golf top money and good perfomance. However they don't seem to demand the same respect they used to.

Old 03 May 2001, 08:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You're right that MB Quart are currently not quite the most fashionable, but that doesn't really matter. If you liked 'em, I'd stick with 'em and put two fingers to the "must have the latest" brigade.

I'm still running CD Technology stuff which I love. I paid enough for it, and I like the sound, so I ain't changing it. I got B-grade factory stock direct from the states at a very good saving... I like the sound as its fairly neutral and uncoloured, but ballsy enough to play loud when asked to.

For that varied music (which, if you add in more alternative/industrial, would suit me), I'd be tempted to try the JL Audio stuff that Adam M (who has far too much time/money on his hands) has tried quite a few high end units and has left the JL Audio kit in his front doors - bit bright on the treble is his comment, but not too bright to fit anything else.

Other well respected stuff - focal, dynaudio, ... The list goes on.

I take it the trouble with the MB's that you have is that it's a 3-way, which isn't really condusive to a stealth install? You may find that you can get the woofers in the doors, and make a kick panel build for the mids/tweeters. Not tried this, but I suspect that it would work quite well in the Impreza. There's some connectors in the driver's side kickwell that may need a bit of playing with...

Nick.