ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speaker cable

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 12:53 PM
FATBOY_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speaker cable

OK - so I have my Dynamat Extreme ready to go, Infinity speakers delivered, Velcro for Crossover mounting purchased from our helpful DIY store, MDF 12mm sat next to my Jigsaw for the spacers, How to guide printed off courtesy of the sticky.

Now, should I or should I not invest in better cabling.

I have standard HU (for now) and it is unlikely I will ever get round to amping (as the cabling under carper etc is too much for a man of my skill).

So should I get some new cable in case I upgrade other bits later, and 'cos it will make a difference even now - or forget it and go with standard as it isn't worth the cash or effort unless I amp - I will change the HU at some time, just not now.

I think I also read better cabling can add to the "brightness" of the Infinitys'

Any thoughts or suggestions ?? How much would I need just to do the speakers (roughly)??

Old 14 September 2006, 01:08 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

I have just purchased some 6.5" infinity components and also some 5.25" for the rears.

I am sticking with the standard cabling for now but i will be upgrading the headunit. I need to get some velcro or fixing for the x-over though.

I purchased some of the spacer rings from a company inthe states as Colzo has done. To keep things simple and to keep MDF away from the car.

Speaker cable as far as i am conerned unles syou are installing a full reference system in your car is worthless. Just as it is on you home stereo.
Old 14 September 2006, 01:09 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FATBOY_STi
...Velcro for Crossover mounting purchased from our helpful DIY store,...
Velcro rules!

Originally Posted by FATBOY_STi
...So should I get some new cable in case I upgrade other bits later, and 'cos it will make a difference even now - or forget it and go with standard as it isn't worth the cash or effort unless I amp - I will change the HU at some time, just not now...
I'd say save your money, and more importantly your time; leave the standard stuff in there.
Old 14 September 2006, 09:05 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

The Impreza comes with pretty decent wire for the audio anyways as standard. Leave it be if i was you... unless your looking to comp.
Old 14 September 2006, 10:46 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I agree with the guys above as your still using you standard head unit.
Maplins should have a thinner gauge speaker wire as wells as the connectors for the speakers & crossover.
How much would you need? really depends on where your going to position the tweeter & the crossover.

I think I used about 1/2 metre lengths from crossover to tweeter & the same for the woofer. From crossover to amp was a lot longer as that was mounted in the boot.
My crossover is by the door handle cup stuck with velcro & my tweeters are fixed the the plastic triangle trim bit (rear mirrors).

Ticky
Old 15 September 2006, 12:54 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

think of it like water

the more water you put in the bigger the pipes you need to drain it.

Leave the standard wires they will cope with it