Fitting a Kenwood roof screen?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2006, 08:30 PM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a Kenwood roof screen?

Hi all,

Would like to fit a 7" Kenwood roof screen into my Impreza and have got a few questions.

First, when fitting, did you have to cut the headlining, or can it just be mounted through the light fitting? In other words, will it be noticeable when removed, that a roof screen was previously fitted?

Second, does the trim ring have any gaps between it and the headlining - especially since the headlining is lower by the light, like it covers a roll bar, so the bits above the drivers head are higher. Hope that makes sense!

Finally, when turned on and lowered in place, is it visible in the rear view mirror, and could you knock your head on it - not too sure how far forward the screen is.

Cheers

Tosty.
Old 06 October 2006, 09:25 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

You may have already fitted it by now, but just in case you havnt i hope the following helps!
i fitted an alpine screen in my roof for my daughter to watch in the back of my impreza. Already got a flip out screen in the front for me
I didnt cut the roof lining, and if i ever sell will be able to put things back to normal.
Basically i removed the interior light, and then mounted a piece of mdf to the ceiling using the holes/threads the light was previously fixed to.
This was more than strong enough to mount the screen onto!

Next step was to trim the mount/surround to fit the shape of the roof lining.
Best way is to get the mount in place and have a helper hold it in position. Not sure on the laws of where you can mount it, but mine is behind my head so should be ok. I was stopped by the police soon after fitting, but when they saw where it was located and my daughter watching her wiggles dvd they was ok.
Anyway.......Then take a marker pen fixed to a screwdriver or something so it makes the shape of a cross. Dont know how best to describe this, so hope you understand!
Hold the cross so that the tip of the marker is on the side of the mount, and the tip of the screwdriver is on the roof lining. As you move the cross around the roof lining it will draw a line on the side of the mount according to the contours of the roof! Then trim it with a jigsaw, and fix the mount to the mdf you fitted earlier!
You wont see a great deal out of the rear view mirror, and unless you climb between the seats wont bang your head.
Anything else you need to know just ask
Old 10 October 2006, 12:59 PM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Tyron, much appreciated. Haven't convinced myself to buy anything yet, but still think it would be a good idea. Especially as we have an almost 5 hour drive to Eurodisney planned.

Can I ask what size screen you bought?
Old 10 October 2006, 04:55 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

Im not sure on the size to be honest, had it for quite some time but never fitted it. Its one of the alpine ones though, paid about £150 from ebay.
My daughter absoulutely loves it in the back though! would be ideal if you have kids for your 5 hour drive!!

Originally Posted by Tosty
Cheers Tyron, much appreciated. Haven't convinced myself to buy anything yet, but still think it would be a good idea. Especially as we have an almost 5 hour drive to Eurodisney planned.

Can I ask what size screen you bought?
Old 13 October 2006, 04:33 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tyron.c
You may have already fitted it by now, but just in case you havnt i hope the following helps!
i fitted an alpine screen in my roof for my daughter to watch in the back of my impreza. Already got a flip out screen in the front for me
I didnt cut the roof lining, and if i ever sell will be able to put things back to normal.
Basically i removed the interior light, and then mounted a piece of mdf to the ceiling using the holes/threads the light was previously fixed to.
This was more than strong enough to mount the screen onto!

Next step was to trim the mount/surround to fit the shape of the roof lining.
Best way is to get the mount in place and have a helper hold it in position. Not sure on the laws of where you can mount it, but mine is behind my head so should be ok. I was stopped by the police soon after fitting, but when they saw where it was located and my daughter watching her wiggles dvd they was ok.
Anyway.......Then take a marker pen fixed to a screwdriver or something so it makes the shape of a cross. Dont know how best to describe this, so hope you understand!
Hold the cross so that the tip of the marker is on the side of the mount, and the tip of the screwdriver is on the roof lining. As you move the cross around the roof lining it will draw a line on the side of the mount according to the contours of the roof! Then trim it with a jigsaw, and fix the mount to the mdf you fitted earlier!
You wont see a great deal out of the rear view mirror, and unless you climb between the seats wont bang your head.
Anything else you need to know just ask
Hi could you post a pic or 2 of it fitted, with and without the trim, if the trim is easy enough to get off that is.

Cheers
Steve
Old 13 October 2006, 09:48 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Hi could you post a pic or 2 of it fitted, with and without the trim, if the trim is easy enough to get off that is.

Cheers
Steve
I can take a few pictures for you of it fitted, but it means removing almost the complete thing to show without trim. Basically the complete unit fixes onto the ceiling/mdf and the trim just sits in between.
Old 14 October 2006, 01:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

ok then just a few pics of it fitted will be good ta