ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

head unit wiring query please

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2006, 06:21 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head unit wiring query please

just got myself a new head unit and before i launch into fitting it there's a couple of things i want to check on if someone could help?

firstly is it right that i should connect the remote wire to the antenna wire of the aerial to power the aerial amp? (on 05 impreza by the way)

is the antenna wire labelled or coloured for identification? or is it obvious?

and secondly the instructions for the h/unit has a power connection diagram which give 2 choices for power supply, i can either have number 4 pin on the aux power connector as a continuous power supply or by plugging the wires the other way round no. 4 can be a switched power supply.

which way should it be? or does it not really matter?

any advice would be appreciated

ta
Old 28 July 2006, 08:29 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
just got myself a new head unit and before i launch into fitting it there's a couple of things i want to check on if someone could help?

firstly is it right that i should connect the remote wire to the antenna wire of the aerial to power the aerial amp? (on 05 impreza by the way)

is the antenna wire labelled or coloured for identification? or is it obvious?

and secondly the instructions for the h/unit has a power connection diagram which give 2 choices for power supply, i can either have number 4 pin on the aux power connector as a continuous power supply or by plugging the wires the other way round no. 4 can be a switched power supply.

which way should it be? or does it not really matter?

any advice would be appreciated

ta
Remote wire for the amp should be blue or blue with a white stripe, it just sends a signal from the h.unit to the amp to turn it on.

Although I found what you were describing abit

If you are on about the aerial for radio then it should pop up automatically if you have an extending one like on the classics! If not then don't worry about it!

The power connections your describing would be red and yellow. I think red is the ignition and yellow is the battery.

So if you want your head unit on without the keys in the ignition, connect the red wire from the head unit to the yellow wire from the car and vice versa to have it only come on with ignition!

Easily changed if you dislike it, although you would need to switch it off manually if the wire colours are not matched.

So red to red and yellow to yellow for it to only come on with your keys in the ignition
Old 28 July 2006, 09:32 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers for the reply criss. it's not for a stereo amp mate, apparently on the new shape impreza the aerial which is built into the rear screen, which has a signal amplifier, this is powered ok fron the std head unit but when an aftermarket one is fitted this amp needs power.

this is where (from what i've read) you need to hook it up to the remote wire. just trying to check this is ok as the instructions with the h/unit say not to attach anything other than a stereo amp to it.

true about the switchable power, down to personal taste i guess
Old 29 July 2006, 12:29 AM
Criss
Scooby Regular

IF it only needs a 12volt supply then the blue wire will do the trick ;-)
Old 29 July 2006, 05:14 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Criss
IF it only needs a 12volt supply then the blue wire will do the trick ;-)
dunno what the voltage is mate, can't see it being anything big though.

cheers
Old 30 July 2006, 06:25 AM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Depending on your subaru-ISO harness adaptor lead, you may not have to do anything, I used an autoleads harness on my 06 scoob and it looked like the blue wire which provides the 12volt switched supply (for motor antenna/power amp switching etc.) had been also connected to the relavent terminal on the subaru connector as well. Hence perfect radio reception straight away

Tim
Old 30 July 2006, 08:27 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I didn't do anything either on the adaptor (possibly autoleads too, can't remember) I used.