ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Aaarggh Alternator Whine!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2006, 01:47 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aaarggh Alternator Whine!!

I have tried everything under the sun to try and get rid of my alternator whine but I can't get rid of it!!

I have a 2001 P1.

So far I have tried another head unit. A pioneer 8600.

I have earthed my head unit a Kenwood KDC PSW 9521 straight to the battery.

I have put a noise filter on the 12v feed to the head unit and earthed it through this as well. I have put the same filter on the 12V switched live (Ignition). I even put it on the remote switch from head unit to amps. I have run the positive and switched positive straight from the battery.

I have put the remote switch from the amp straight on to the power cable.
I have earthed the amps straight to battery. I have even earthed the amp casings.

I have disconnected the aerial.

I have tried another amplifier with my original head unit.

I have an earthing kit fitted to the engine. I have continuity tested the alternator casing to the neg terminal of the battery and there is nothing in the way.

I have even split the iso connector so the speaker outputs from the head unit do not connect to anything.

But I still get a whine.

All my power, RCA and speaker leads do not cross.

The RCAs are all stinger dream.

Where do I go from here??

Maybe its tinnitus??

Thanks

Martin
Old 18 April 2006, 05:33 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Have you tried a new alternator suppressor??

Also upgrading the OEM earth strap, from the battery to the chassis helps.
Old 19 April 2006, 08:18 PM
nec
Scooby Regular

Have you run you amp power with the rca ( is there a gap
Old 19 April 2006, 08:56 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

where can i find a alternator suppressor and are they easy to install? how much are they?
Old 20 April 2006, 02:40 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

http://www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html
Old 21 April 2006, 07:50 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers chiark!

Unfortunately I have tried all that was suggested in that article but still I get a whine!!

Where do I go now?

Cheers

Martin
Old 21 April 2006, 09:28 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have you started unplugging things to find out what component is introducing the whine, as described in the "ALternator whine" of the article? Where did you isolate the problem to?

Have you checked the RCA leads? I had a knackered one once and that caused no end of bother: I never thought that a lead would go faulty

I've also had whine induced in passive x-overs by wiring in the driver's footwell. Strange but true.

Earthing amps to battery suggest that you've got a long run of earth - that might not be great: earth to a good chassis point, and upgrade the ground between battery and chassis (single or multi point)

Some amps don't like their chassis being grounded, but again it shouldn't cause a problem.

You need to determine what component is faulty or causing the whine, then take it from there. Good luck
Old 22 April 2006, 12:50 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chiark
Have you started unplugging things to find out what component is introducing the whine, as described in the "ALternator whine" of the article? Where did you isolate the problem to?

Have you checked the RCA leads? I had a knackered one once and that caused no end of bother: I never thought that a lead would go faulty

I've also had whine induced in passive x-overs by wiring in the driver's footwell. Strange but true.

Earthing amps to battery suggest that you've got a long run of earth - that might not be great: earth to a good chassis point, and upgrade the ground between battery and chassis (single or multi point)

Some amps don't like their chassis being grounded, but again it shouldn't cause a problem.

You need to determine what component is faulty or causing the whine, then take it from there. Good luck
The whine goes as soon as unplug the RCAs from the head unit. I have tried a noise filter on the switched live to the head unit but that didn't work.

I have the crossovers on the underside of the bootlid.

I have checked the RCAs witha continuity meter and they are not breakind down internally.

The earth normally goes to the body work, about a 6 to 8 inch run. I hooked up a temporay earth to the battery to see if I was picking up whine from the fuel pump.

The earthing kit I fitted replaced the original earth lead to the chassis. Its now 8awg cable.

Thanks again for the advice

Martin