Replacement speakers - wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2006, 07:45 PM
hhiker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement speakers - wiring question

Hi there

I'm putting some new speakers in my motor and as part of this will be replacing the speaker wiring. For simplicities sake on the explanation, let's assume I'm just doing the front speakers.

I've pulled the head unit out and located the white ISO (?) connector that all the existing wires from the car are going into. That then goes to the harness adapter and then into the head unit.

What I'm unsure about is how to plug the HU end of the new speaker wires in. Do I just pull the old wires out and push the end of the new wires in (perhaps soldered up to make it easier), or do I need to use various adapters?

Any help, hints, pictures and advice is greatly appreciated - I've been searching for hours and can't find anything definitive!!!
Old 18 March 2006, 08:34 PM
Ale555
Scooby Regular

If you have the right tools you might change the cables direct in the connector. If not it might be a bit difficult...if you want to make it right. I would´nt cut the wires...
Old 19 March 2006, 04:47 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erm...in general every time I change my stereo into a new car I have to hook it up to the existing loom. Best way is if you've got an ISO plug/socket on the 'car end', then get hold of the matching ISO socket/plug for the 'head unit end' with a load of flying leads on the end of it. Try Halfords or any car stereo shop. Then simply chop the flying leads coming out of your head unit, as long as you can. Solder or use a 'chocolate box' connector to match the colours together,which being ISO should all be the same
Old 19 March 2006, 08:37 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

If I were doing it I'd use an ISO adaptor with flying leads and crimp bullet connectors on the ends of the cable.